Need advice for .38 special/.357 magnum

djcantr

I'll be loading on a Pro 1000 with Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure. I'll want to use powders that will meter well with that measure.

I'm loading to mainly shoot out of my Dan Wesson 15-2V6. I want to shoot both .38 special and .357 magnum loads. I'd like to make the .38 special loads in .357 magnum cases so I don't get rings in the cylinder that are difficult to clean. I have 1,000 new Starline .357 magnum cases. I also have a couple quart bags of once fired .38 special and .357 magnum cases. If using .38 special load data can I load it in a .357 magnum case without changing anything else besides OAL?

I ordered 158 grain LSWCs from Missouri Bullet in both 12 brinell (listed for .38 special) and 18 brinell (listed for .357 magnum) hardness. If I used the 18 brinell for .38 special velocities would it lead the barrel? What about using 12 brinell for .357 magnum?

I'd like to use just one primer for both .38 special and .357 magnum. Is it feasible to use small pistol primers for medium magnum loads? What could that cause besides slightly lower pressure? Incomplete ignition of the charge?

What powder can I use for both .38 special and .357 magnum charges that will meter well in my powder measure?

Sorry for all the questions but at least I saved them all for one thread. :D

Jimro

Use small pistol magnum primers. It is all I ever used in 38 Special and it simplified things quite a bit, however, always do a proper load workup to ensure safety in your pistol.

Use a spherical "ball" powder of the appropriate burn rate. Doesn't really matter which brand, but a lot of folks like Winchester. If you want to load light target loads you'll give up some performance in 357. If you want to load heavy 357 loads you'll give up some performance in 38 special. Ball powder meters a tad easier.

Hope this helps,
Jimro

WESHOOT2

Find a warmish (but not 'too') 38 Special W231 load with 158g lead (Penn Bullets) and that can transfer to the 357 Magnum case.