Need advice fast......smith work.

Eric Larsen

Today, Im dropping off my little SP to a local and good smith. Hes done some stuff for me in the past and is a stand up gun guy.
Im having the action/trigger done and a Trijicon put in the front..little glowy green thing. While my gun is there...what else do you all recommend for an SP101 thats a CCW?
I just thought I would ask...Im taking my gun up this afternoon.
I hope you have all had your coffee :D Im working on mine presently. Gracias and Shoot well

FPrice

Eric...

My personal opinion is that what you are having done is all you really need in a CCW gun. You want to be able to shoot it quickly and accurately. A good trigger pull (smooth but not too light - you don't want to pull the trigger unintentionally under stress) and sights that you can pick up quickly and are allow you to shoot your chosen load to point of aim are what you want in a self-defense gun.

The only other thing may be if there is any recognized problem with the Ruger which should be corrected for reliability's sake. I am not aware of any problems with the Ruger, but perhaps one of our other members who is more familiar with them may have a suggestion.

Good luck with your project.

RWK

Eric . . .

I agree with FPrice's post and I, too, don't know of any "reliability issues" with the SP101. Not that it's required or Smith's work, but some people replace the SP101's Ruger factory grips with others, such as Houges.

Regards.

Eric Larsen

Thanks for the input...I really dont need to do anything to it...I just WANT to. The trigger can be lightened a little and smoothed a little more. Check and smooth the action. Install the night sight and deburr the hammer is a good idea...I dont like bobbed or d/a only for a revolver...Just me. Ill let you know.
Shoot well

Borf

When I had my 3" GP-100 fixed up for me I had everything you mentioned done, plus I had the smith do a "Bill Jordan" style radiusing of the trigger... wasn't sure about it at first, but it kind of grew on me.

Wish i hadn't sold it :(

Eric Larsen

Ive got a CTC Laser Grip for it that is very very nice...I also have Butler creek boot grips and a Hogue rubber...all have their place.
The Trijicon is for when I feel like the boot grips and wont have my funny little red light. Ive thought about the trigger radius, mine doesnt seem as sharp as most people describe and isnt as sharp as a new one is...it may have already had a slight radius job done to it...Ill have the smith take a look. I appreciate the replies...Shoot well

ohen cepel

I had a S&W 66 done a while back.

Had a half-moon cut into the trigger guard to let my fat finger into it easier.

Also, had the cylinders polished. Not a realibility issue but nice for the brass to fall out of the weapon easier.

May want the cylinders numbered if you want to do much accuracy shooting with it. Helps if you have one that's a little off.

Just my 2 cents.