Need a tall Pietta 1858 Remington front sight post

Hellgate

I'm helping a friend dial in his Remington and it shoots waaaaay too high. Surprisingly, it has a fairly short front sight as opposed to the ones I've seen the last few years that seem exceedingly tall. Does anyone have a loose tall one laying around that I can buy? Or, I can swap a shorter Euroarms dovetailed front sight for it. I'm looking to yank out his short post sight and epoxy in the taller one. The gun shoots fine windage wise but about 4-5" high @ 7 paces.

swathdiver

VTI has the Pietta dovetailed target front sight or you can get something very similar from Track of the Wolf in steel or brass.

You could always make one from a coin, old spoon, or even a screw and forgo the dovetailed ones.

g.willikers

The gun shoots fine windage wise but about 4-5" high @ 7 paces.
Sights are for longer range or a six o'clock hold, maybe?
Just aim lower.
Or like swathdiver sez, make one; it's not difficult.

maillemaker

Pietta 1858 New Army Remington's do not have a dovetailed front sight. Uberti's do. I hand-cut a dovetail into my Pietta to accept one of these:

http://ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JA182

Here is the article on replacing the front sight on the Pietta 1858:

http://4thla.weebly.com/replace-the-front-sight-on-a-remington-new-army-revolver.html

If I had to do it over again with the Pietta, I would probably just solder in a piece of brass rod, and then file it to shape to adjust windage and elevation.

Steve

swathdiver

The Pietta Tiro 1858 style Remington has a dovetailed front sight. This is what I was referring to.

I was going to get the one from S&S but bought several of the other from VTI for about the same price.

Branko

Could just solder a bit of material on it, then file away until you are hitting dead on at your preffered range, paint the soldered part black and it's like new.

bedbugbilly

I didn't go pull mine out to look but can you not pull the original sight post and make a new one out of a piece of brazing rod - or perhaps a piece of brass rod from a hobby shop? If it needs to be "turned" - stick it in a drill press and use a file. Either solder in or loctite?

Hellgate

maillemaker,
I like the looks of the post front sight you showed. I might just do that procedure. I was just thinking, like the guy in the article, someone might just have a sight laying around that I could simply plug in. Thanks for the links.

Thanks everybody else for all the suggestions.

Howdy

Years ago the Remington 1858 replicas came with a very short front sight.

Check out the front sight on this original that was converted to shooting cartridges.

1200px-Remington_Conversion_zps5mo6kfyb.jpg

When I was considering adding a conversion cylinder to this old EuroAms Remmie that I bought brand-spanky new in 1975, the first thing I did was have a taller front sight put onto it. With the original factory sight, it shot way too high. I bought an Uberti front sight from VTI and took it to a local gunsmith. He cut a new dovetail (the original dovetail was too small for the Uberti sight). When I got the gun back I fired a few cylinders C&B out of it to be sure I was happy with the new taller front sight. Then I went ahead and bought the conversion cylinder.

Remmie.jpg

Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to cut a new dovetail.

Hellgate

I have several Euroarms Remmies that I have replaced the lower front sights with a Euroarms taller front sight from S&S Firearms.