Need a single shot/brake action gun

IM_Lugger

Need a single shot gun recommendation

I'm thinking of getting a single shot shotty (haven't decided on the gauge, but probably either 12, 20 or .410/.45 or even .44mag)

Basically I want a someting with a shorter barrel (or I can cut it to ~18"). pistil grip would be nice as well.

Anyone other than Rossi and H&R/NEF making them? <btw who makes better guns?

I kinda like the Tamer 20ga is it any good (have no exp. with H&R guns)...
photo_tamer_20g_2.jpg

Last edited:

Full-choke

H&R will do more then you ever dream it could. You can take those guns and throw them up against a tree, pick 'em up and they will shoot just as true. Those things are built like tanks and never fail because they are made so simple. My buddy owns around 3, all of them will out do his Win 1300 and my old 870 Express when we did trap.

I would say an H&R single shot is all you'd ever need. They fit just about any bill just fine...

F-C

chris in va

On a side note, if you get a NEF rifle, you can buy a shotgun barrel for it and have it fitted. Can't do that if you buy the shotgun first.

My limited experience with my NEF Pardner 410 has been outstanding. Very very nice trigger, points beautifully. Highly recommended. Just keep in mind the 20 and 12 gauges will kick like a MULE.

sm

Single shots are proven,
I recommend 20, 28 and .410.
Rule of 96 kicks in [pun intended] with 12 bore.

I want choke, better patterns and slug groups.
Something folks that cut off barrels do not benefit or gain much with a barrel with zero choke.

My handy gun is bone stock NEF YOUTH 20 ga, with factory fixed Modified choke and factory recoil pad.
It is short, and tosses some of the pellet, buck and slug groups.
Only thing I have done is stick a Koplin shell holder on buttstock , with electrical tape to hold into place better.

Only thing I should do is add sling swivels. Instead I use a old trick using rawhide or cord to slip knot one, for toting to and fro, remove for shooting.

Youth means handy, smaller framed folks can use. New shooters, I start with primer only hulls, then really light loads.

28 ga, is the preferred gauge for a kid.

.410 is a fun thing, and if one learns to shoot, quite effective. I usually use a .410 as my "teaching prop".
No matter how small, or big a person I am assisting with, this .410 Youth works well for showing, demonstrating and the like.

Serious use: my preference is slugs.
Hunting, I have felled a 15 dove limit with 13 shells , felled deer, other small game
Fun: run more than one straight at regular skeet...
Gotta be fast on them doubles...*grin*

For a C note, one can get a proven shotgun, ready to go , and the Youth model works...

I mean all it is a single shot youth shotgun...honest. *wink*

Full-choke

Yea, I know other people do make some. You got Remington Spartans...I was handling one in O/U today in the gun shop...gave me willies even thinking about shooting it. Very crude piece of machinery. Then your higher end companies make some, Browning make some really nice trap guns and such, but I think that is a little much.

Past that I really don't know who else makes some, I think Savage used to under the stevens name, I'd just do some digging around in the Buy/Sell area here or on gunbroker.com

F-C

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Is it just preference or are you limited to single shot? For a few bucks more you can buy a mossberg 500 or their maverick 88. The stocks and barrels are fully interchangeable from mavericks and 500s. For $180 or so you get a fully huntable pump gun and for 90 bucks for a 18 inch barrel and 20 bucks for a pistol grip you own everything for both HD and hunting! If you are an average male adult than 12 gauge is fine. If you are smaller framed or a female may use the gun I suggest 20gauge...
Brent

IM_Lugger

Check out the Snake Charmer. Very similar to the Tamer but my preference. Compact, reliable, etc.
how much do they go for?
Is it just preference or are you limited to single shot? For a few bucks more you can buy a mossberg 500 or their maverick 88. The stocks and barrels are fully interchangeable from mavericks and 500s. For $180 or so you get a fully huntable pump gun and for 90 bucks for a 18 inch barrel and 20 bucks for a pistol grip you own everything for both HD and hunting! If you are an average male adult than 12 gauge is fine. If you are smaller framed or a female may use the gun I suggest 20gauge...Brent
I'm not now to guns/shooting (but mainly a handgun shooter) and been ignoring shotguns for a while... :eek:

I will likely get a maverick 88 18.5" at some point as well and get a top folding stock for it...but there's just something I like about single shot guns. :)

Bill DeShivs

I don't think the Snake Charmer has been made in years.
Single shots are cool. You can add a screw-in choke after you shorten the barrel, add a recoil pad, sling & swivels, etc.