Need a scope for a .308 DPMS Panther

Dog Confetti

I'm picking up a DPMS Panther soon (it's been "in the mail" for about 3 weeks now), and I'm not sure what kind of optics I should slap on it. I don't have much experience with scopes, so I don't know why I shouldn't go with a BSA or something equally crappy. I'm thinking variable power...no higher than 3x on the low end, and no lower than 9x on the high end...but I'd kinda like to have a 12x or 18x high end. Mil-dot reticle would be a good thing, or something specific to a .308. I don't need top dollar, but I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks.

Anybody got any reccomendations? Just how bad are BSA's (I've got 6x24x40 on an AR-15 and it seems just fine to me)?

TPAW

For the price, I think BSA's are a decent bang for your buck. I have three of them on my rifles and have never been let down. Good clear optics and excellent light gathering ability. Without going for your lungs, Bushnell is not bad either. Everyone will have their opinion, that's just mine.
Each and every one of mine do the job, and do it well.

Blackhorse

I have a DPMS 24" hvy barrel that I topped with a Sightron 4x16x42 that I have had real good luck with, nice clear optics, no hassel warranty and about 320.00 out the door.

TPAW

Ouch! $320.00 out the door! I'm sure it's worth it, but if I paid that much for a scope, my wife would make sure that I'm out the door!
Lock, stock and barrel! :(

timothy75

Id get a burris fulfeild or leopold rifleman both are top of the line and under 200$ their just regular hunting scopes but that way your rig will be top quality all the way around. A 30$ bsa on a 1200$ AR10 doenst look right. Plus those scopes will do anything a high speed low drag ninja endorsed operator tacticle sniper socom scope will do. They'll help you see the target!

Swamp Yankee

My nephew was on a tight budget when he put his 308 together.

We found a nice used Savage 10FP-LE1. He went with a Bushnell Legend 5-15X40 with a mildot reticle. With a set of Burris mounts and rings it came to just over $200 with shipping. Total cost for the used rifle which included a Harris bipod $300 out the door. He's got a little over $500 into a real shooter.
The Legend is a decent piece of glass for the money, and meets most of your criteria. The only issue I've found so far is the lack of consistancy of the elevation and windage adjustments. They're supposed to be 1/4 MOA but vary from click to click. He doesn't have that big an issue with it, depending upon the distances you will be shooting, you may not either.
Take Care