Need a Rifle Tip

Action_Can_Do

Hello everyone. A friend and myself are interested in long range rifle shooting. We are using his land for our range and have been shooting at 100 yards. That has become way too easy. There is enough space to push out to 300 yards, though at some point, I would like to find a place to shoot at 1000 yards. I need a new rifle for this and have been thinking of a Tikka in 300 Winchester Mag. The thing is, I have never shot at this distance before. What exactly do I need besides the rifle? We have a spotting scope and a bench rest table. Also, is the rifle and caliber ideal for this kind of range? Can anyone recommend something better?

tINY

At 300 yards a 223 with heavier bullets or a 308 is just fine. For 1000 yards, you are getting specialized and expensive. I'd be looking at a 6.5x284 and some good reloading gear.

If you have a good spotting scope, 300 yards is pretty easy to see the holes. For 1000, you need something better - maybe a camera by the target (in a protective housing) and a monitor by the bench.

-tINY

ammo.crafter

1000 yard rifle

Weatherby 378 brass necked down to 30 cal would do the job nicely. Underastand that these ropunds must be hand rolled.

Off the rack for 1000 yds? 7m/mag might do it for ya.

I shoot 30 yds with a costum WWII Mauser 98k action with 8m/m brass necked down to 6 m/m and it's dealy at that range.

Jumping from 100 yds to 1000 yards is one heck of a leap! Try 300 yards and then decide.

Anthony Terry

30-378.

Ouch! :D Talk about an arm breaker. The key to shooting out to 300-400 yds is to find a rifle that does'nt recoil bad. The less recoil the better off you are. A 300 mag would be one of my last choices. Now a 22-250, 220 swift, 223 are some good 300-400 yd rounds. Then You get into the real contenders: 25-06, 6mm, 240 whetherby, 6mm-06, 6.5-284, to name a few. Those, with the right twist and bullets will get you out to 500+yds and 300-400 will be chip shots when you put some practice in. Get something in a heavy long barrel, varmint/target style rifle. I like the ruger target grey, remington varmint rifles are nice, like the vs, vssf, vls..ect. Then theres my favorite, the browning m-1000 eclipse. You really dont want a hard kicking rifle if you want long range extreme accuracy. Check out some of the ones I've listed. If you really want anything more than that, you will need a custom weapon. And thats major $$

Twycross

If your 300 yrd shooting is practice for an elk hunt, then the .300 WM would be a fine choice. However, if you are just punching paper, then that is far more power than you need, and a lot of unnecessary pain to your shoulder. Anything from a respectable .22 cal cartridge up to the 6mm family would be a better idea. .300 magnums aren't really necessary even for the 1000 yard shooting.

I shoot 30 yds with a costum WWII Mauser 98k action with 8m/m brass necked down to 6 m/m and it's dealy at that range.
30 yards? I should certainly hope so. :D :p

hoghunting

Weatherby 378 brass necked down to 30 cal would do the job nicely. Underastand that these ropunds must be hand rolled

With all the different cartridges that have come out during the past few years, it is easy to forget that Weatherby chambers their rifles for the 30-378 Weatherby and Norma makes the Weatherby ammo for it.