Need a Polish Tantal expert

overkill556x45

I'm thinking real hard about selling my M&P15 carbine (with all the extra toys) and buying a Polish Tantal Ak-74 from J&G sales . The reviews written after Feb of this year seem to concur that the CAI Tantals now have properly sized barrels, so the dreaded keyhole shouldn't be a problem. I realize the irony, having come to the AR's rescue more than once on many a "AR vs. AK" thread, but it's just too darn expensive to run, and I hate chasing brass just so I can keep supporting my habit. 5.45x39mm ammo is plentiful and CHEAP right now, so I figured I might strike while the iron is hot.

My biggest question is "do regular AK-47 parts fit the Tantal"? Obviously mags, bolts, etc. won't fit. I'm more concerned with putting in a Tapco double hook trigger and SAW pistol grip. Maybe a Galil handguard later.

Also, anyone got a source for cheap-ish AK74 mags? I've found some used East German and Polish mags for $30-$40/ea and the ProMag (I understand they are mostly garbage) for $14/ea. Anyone got a source of *good* but less expensive AK74 mags?

kymasabe

One nice thing about the Tantal is that the receiver still has an upper tang so you can remove the folding wire stock and install any stock of your choice. Not sure about handguards though. Otherwise, my understanding is that the Tapco G2 trigger will fit fine.

MTMilitiaman

So what are you going to do a year and a half from now when troops start filtering back from Iraq and the market it hit buy a huge surge of surplus 5.56 and 7.62, but the foreign produced 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 can't hardly be found at all? Sell the Tantal to re-purchase the S&W?

Markets change. Selling a perfectly good rifle that you still enjoy are presumably have a use for simply because of the current price of ammo doesn't make sense to me.

I'd keep the S&W. You are not a traitor to your nation nor a blasphemer of your cult if you find room for an AK next to an AR. And I really think you'll be glad you did, even if you have to save longer to get it.

MTMilitiaman

In fact, I know for a fact that S&W just introduced an AR chambered in 5.45x39. You should see if they sell the uppers. An upper receiver shouldn't cost any more than a quality Tantal build in this market, and if it does, it might be worth it for you as you are already familiar with the AR. Plus, you can buy it directly, negating the need for an FFL dealer.

overkill556x45

MSRP on those 5.45 uppers is $798! I could get a Tantal, mags, and a case or two of ammo for that!

I realize that MSRP and street price are two different things, but either way, I just end up with more crap in my basement. Plus I'm not entirely sure I want to pour buckets of corrosive surplus ammo down an AR upper. Then I still need new mags, etc. anyway. The only plus is that I already have a detachable carry handle for the upper if I go that way. I also have almost enough parts to finish a new lower receiver if I was tempted.

I'd sorta rather have the AK because of the side folding stock. Also, I have a BUNCH of AR crap taking up a huge amount of space in my gun room. Either way I may sell off a bunch of mags, pouches, etc that I accumulated in the Army.

So what are you going to do a year and a half from now when troops start filtering back from Iraq and the market it hit buy a huge surge of surplus 5.56 and 7.62, but the foreign produced 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 can't hardly be found at all? Sell the Tantal to re-purchase the S&W? Markets change. Selling a perfectly good rifle that you still enjoy are presumably have a use for simply because of the current price of ammo doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah, I bought it for 'yotes and for re-living my glory days. But since someone decided that they need to buy all the milsurp in the world, I can't even afford to feed it Wolf anymore. I would use my CMMG conversion, but I haven't even seen .22lr bulk in quite a while. However, for the last five years or so, CTD, Sportsman's Guide, and AIM have had 5.45 for pretty appealing prices. I think you were also making some vague reference to the idea that The One will ban imported ammo. Well, if that goes down, we won't be able to afford ANYTHING because the hoarders at work now will go into hyperdrive and sell their houses, kidneys, and children so they can amass even more 5.56, 7.62x51, and 9x19mm. Still, I can respect your skepticism of my decision.

Thanks for the link to cheap mags, and thanks for trying to talk some sense into me.

Willie Lowman

I'm more concerned with putting in a Tapco double hook trigger and SAW pistol grip. Maybe a Galil handguard later.

viewFile.html

overkill556x45

Willie, that was good for a laugh. Luckily I hadn't started in on my Sam Adams yet or you'd owe me a new laptop.

But honestly, if the reds had a choice, they'd want the better trigger and grip too. I've played with the real deal overseas, and if you have man hands, you want the SAW grip. That dinky excuse for a pistol grip that comes on it just doesn't do it for me. The trigger I might be able to live without, but the grip HAS to go.

MTMilitiaman

Yeah the standard AK grip always felt more like a spatula handle than anything to me.

I have a SAW grip on mine, like it, and as a result couldn't possibly care less what the stinkin Commies think of it. They're Commies, what do they know? If they had any common sense, they be Capitalists, and they'd have a SAW grip on their AK...