Need a new .22lr snubbie

Mikeyboy

I'm looking for a new .22 DA snubbie, since my Taurus 94 has been traded. I don't know if I should just get another 94 (I had bad luck with the last one), or if I should try something else. A good used S&W is hard to find, and a new 317 is pricey($500). I'm thinking about the 94, a used ruger sp101(unfortunately no longer made), a used S&W, or a charter arms pathfinder. Anyboy got either of these, or have opinions?

Glenn E. Meyer

I hear you. I had a 94 and had trouble with it. I didn't like the trigger on the 317.

I wish I had bought a snubby 63 when I had the chance.

What's the gun for? I used mine just as a plinker so I bought a Ruger SS Bearcat - which isn't a snubby but fun.

22-rimfire

I would just bite the bullet and get the Smith. Pay your money and you're done. What difference does $100 make when you will likely have it for a long long time and the price keeps going up.

The SP101's are around. I just never liked the heavy trigger on them and hence never bought one even though I love 22 revolvers.

Mikeyboy

It's for plinking and cheap training for my other snubs. I originally bought the Taurus 94 for my wife as a house gun, but she as since moved up to a .38. I would like to do the same for my kids, since they are getting old enough to start shooting. I'm looking to spend up to $300 for this gun.

I'm not a big fan of the 317 either. Its more like $200 more than the other .22 pistols, and the one I rent at my range has more issues than my Taurus did, definately not worth the $500+ NIB price tag. I actually rather buy a vintage S&W 63 than the new 317. I'm not going to spend the same amount of money I would spend on a NIB Glock or XD, for a .22 revolver that I'm going to use as a trainer. If I run into a 317 used for the right price, I'll jump on it.

So it's either going to be another NIB Taurus 94, a NIB Charter Arms pathfinder, or a used S&W or Ruger if I could find one.

DeathRodent

I like my Taurus 94 but its the 4 inch barrel.

The thing about Taurus is they "might" have a higher "lemon" rate than Smith but if you get a good one its good.

FWIW, all my Taurus firearms have been ok.

If your first Taurus wasn't to nice the second might be great.

22-rimfire

Mikeyboy, since your second post, it becomes clearer that you should probably just look for a 4" 22 revolver. I recently bought a 98%+ Smith Model 18 for $350 and it is a fine premium 22 revolver. The older Model 17's had the 6" barrel. Your other best option is just to get another Taurus and hope it works.

"I'm not going to spend the same amount of money I would spend on a NIB Glock or XD, for a .22 revolver that I'm going to use as a trainer."

There lies the problem. A couple points... Why should a 22 revolver cost less than a quality 357 magnum or whatever centerfire revolver? You will likely shoot it more and have way more fun with it than the 357. You want a "trainer" that is just as good as your regular snubbie. You had problems with your Taurus. I've handled the Smith M317 and it is a cute little revolver that I have been tempted to buy one more than once. I have looked at Ruger SP101 22 a number of times and can't bring myself to spending the $ due to the trigger. Why spend $350+ for a Ruger when I can have a Smith for the same price? A local dealer has a new SP101 22 for $350 (if he still has it). I have found that it is just something you have to experience to appreciate the difference in quality. Most of my 22 revolvers are Colts. So, I spend the $ for quality. I'm really only beginning to buy 22 Smith revolvers these days.

What problems did you observe with the Smith 317?

I figure if you get a fair price, you can't loose on one as long as you don't try to sell it within a year or so.

Mikeyboy

There lies the problem. A couple points... Why should a 22 revolver cost less than a quality 357 magnum or whatever centerfire revolver?

You know that is a good point. Whether its rifles, or pistols, the .22 are always priced lower, yet in a revolver, the same workmanship needs to be used for a .22 as with a .44 magnum. I'm in no rush, I think I rather find a nice old .22 classic S&W.

FM12

Hey, PBP, I have a Charter Pathfinder, the first thing I bought for my wife while we were dating...I love it, NO problems after 20 years+, FM12

22-rimfire

Definitely go with an old Smith or Colt!! If you could find a Smith Model 18 (4"), you will love it and your kids will love it. I have been most impressed with the revolver and I paid market price for it (no tax though) at a gunshow. The Model 34's are nice too and run about the same price. They have a smaller frame.

Nothing wrong with a Charter Arms revolver or any of the other second or third tier manufactures. My first 22 revolver was a H&R 999 Sportsman. It was the first handgun I ever shot too. Shot it for a couple years and really liked the top break function for easy reloading and so forth. It functioned perfectly but had this nagging issue of blowing hot powder flakes, occasional lead fragments back on my hands and burning them. The rear sight worked loose all the time, but that was fixable. It shot just fine. The double action trigger was heavy, but for shooting single action it worked fine. I took it to a gunsmith in Dallas Texas in hopes of getting having him do something with the powder and lead issue. His comment... "Get a Smith or Colt and then I'll work on it." I bought my first Colt Diamondback 22 after that conversation and really didn't know what I was missing. It still took me months to convince myself that the price was worth it, but I gave it a whirl. It really opened my eyes up as I was a real penny pincher. The guys I worked with day in and day out said I squeaked when I walked. (I wouldn't even buy coffee at resturants then.) Second revolver was a Colt Python. Third handgun was a High Standard Victor. It goes from there and I am a happy camper.

Last edited:

Greguw

The colts are bringing a tad bit more than the smiths ...3000 bucks for a nice colt diamondback 2 inch snubby .
The smiths are a little better in price ... 400 to 600 for a clean S&W flat latch 34 in 2 " barrel .
I have a sp101 22lr 2" ...I have done the wolff trigger and hammer ...I love that gun ...I will say it is a little heavy , but it's a great guy that will last a lifetime and if you can find one don't snooze ...them guns are going up in price .
Greg

leopard1

I've had the Taurus 94, S&W 63, S&W 317, and Ruger Bearcat in .22 LR snubs. The keepers are the S&W 63 and the Ruger Bearcat. The S&W 63 is an all around superb DA revolver. The Bearcat is a hoot to shoot, points right at what you want to hit, and is spot on accurate at 15 yards. The two keepers might not officially be snubs, since they have 4" barrels. However, they are very easy to carry.

22-rimfire

Yeah, I don't think the 2.5" Diamondback in 22 was ever a consideration. The prices these days are just short of amazing for this rare revolver. I like them, but I wouldn't shoot one. :)