Need a little guidance with crimping please.

Davey

I got a LeeLoadmaster and I'm trying to get a feel for the thing. I'm trying to load 45 ACP.

I'm using a Lee Carbide Factory crimp die in station 5. In station 4 I'm using the standard bullet seating/crimp die. I adjusted it to not crimp per the instructions.

When putting the round up into station 4 I feel resistance which I'm guessing is normal but I don't feel any resistance in station 5. It just slides in and out which I'm guessing is not normal. I've adjusted it some but it feels the same.

Next part of my problem is that I'm a nosey kinda guy and the first thing I did with the carbide crimp die was take it apart. There is a sleeve inside and I'm not sure which way is the top or bottom. One end of the sleeve is smooth and greasy on the inside. The other end is clean but the inside edge is beveled.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

overkill0084

With the Lee FCD, a lot depends on what your loading. If you're using jacketed or plated bullets, you might not have much going on aside from a (hopefully) light taper crimp. I load a lot of cast, and occasionally there is a bit more work being done by the sizing portion of the die. Less is more, in this case. If it's not "sizing" you're fine, that simply means there is no need for it. As long as it's crimping correctly.

tom234

The standard crimp for .45 ACP is .469-.471". What does crimp measure ?
Adjust the FCD with the directions that came it or look online for Lee's video.
Right, the part you removed from the FCD does/casues the crimp. That said, I'd put the tapered end down.

Davey

Okay thanks for the replies.

Next question. Should the ram travel up as far with cases in the shell plate as it does totally empty?

Davey

Okay I'm ready to toss this Loadmaster into the recycle bin. It's finicky, temperamental, and the auto indexer is simply ******* me off. I should have one with one of their single stages or even a turret with just one shell holder and no auto indexer. I feel like such a sucker.

Jim243

I know HarborFreight tools are junk...but anyone use their measuring tools?

They work fine for what you are doing, reloading.

Sorry to hear that the LoadMaster is not working out for you. They do take a bit more patience to set up properly.

To answer your question on the height of the ram, the answer is yes if you have the dies setup properly. You need to set each station individually as if it was a single stage press one at a time then when you are done they all should work properly.

Send me a PM as to what you want for the LoadMasster if you are thinking of disposing of it, I may be able to help.

Jim243

Tim R

Some years back, the guy I worked for got involved with one of those presses. He cussed loudly and fiddled with it every night for a week. He finally got it to run and ended up making a lot of ammo.

I'n no means a fan of Lee products but I have some on my bench. If I was going to get a progressive, it would be blue.