Need a gun in the middle...

Onslaught

Okay, since my latest acquisition, well documented here on TFL, I now have the following pistols to choose from...

Tiny - Kel-Tec P32
Sub-Compact-Kahr MK9
Compact- Kahr P9
HUGE- HK USP45

What I'm missing is the one right between Compact and HUGE... On those days, normally during the winter time, when concealment's not difficult, and I may want to carry something with more rounds than the P9, but not quite as HUGE as the USP45 (which I have successfully concealed during the winter :) )

Requirements:
semi-auto
.40 caliber (I don't have one of those anymore)
10 round capacity
same size or slightly bigger than the Kahr
Smaller than the HK
good accuracy
unquestionable reliability

As for the ones I have, the P9 has my favorite trigger, and the USP is most accurate (also 100% reliable).
Of the guns I've tried, the Glock 19 felt good, the Walther P99 felt BEST EVER, the USP40C doesn't feel right, and the Glock 27 grip felt worst of all.

Suggest away, my friends and trusted firearms enthusiasts :D Please include some personal experiences, opinions, etc...

BB

A Glock 23 is exactly the same as a 19 only in 40S&W.

But you allready said you like the Walther, so why not just get one in 40S&W?

jwise

I carry a Kimber CDP. It's the one with the compact slide-length but the full size grip. It's a LOT thinner than the USP 45F (which is going to be my next purchase!), and overall just smaller. It's a whopp'n 45 to boot! I would recommend this fine pistol to anyone. I shoot mine in IPSC, so reliability and accuracy has to be excellent.

The CDP has an aluminum frame to reduce weight, but if you wanted to save some money, go w/ the all-steel version (~$650.)

I understand your need to fill a size niche. I think this one might just work well for you.

J. Wise

Mike in VA

The SIG 229, H&K USO40C, Beretta Cougar 8040, or Kimber Compact .40 all fit your criteria. Nice thing about the .40 is that you can also get .357SIG barrels for several of the above for even more versatility. No bad choices in the group, either, IMO. YMMV, good luck, M2

viesczy

Walther P99 QPQ (duo-tone).

Looks good, shoots great and is in the compact family. I really like my P99. Of my .40s, it is super accruate.

I have heard good things about the Steyr M40, but I have yet to procure one for a true opinion.

It would be hard to fault a P229 though, except for their price! Man they are getting expensive now.

Derek