Need a good 380 load

603Country

I have all I need to load 380 (95 gr bullets), but don’t have a favorite load to use. I can probably figure one out. It isn’t magic, but these days it’s a bit wasteful. So, I thought I’d see if any of you old pro guys have a tried and true (and not too hot) load I can try (yes, work up to it). Powders are Unique, 231, or Universal.

Save me a little work, if you will.

Pistols are a S&W Bodyguard 380 and a 380EZ.

Shadow9mm

never loaded for 380. In my loading for 9mm I have personally found unique and 231 (HP-38) to be a bit dirty. universal burned the cleanest. That said all 3 powders got the job done just fine.

95g bullets, what type. FMJ, plated, cast/coated? it will make a difference.

If you are concerned with saving components, based on my quick browse in my manuals, 231 seems to, over all, use the least amount of powder at max charge weight.

231 also has the fastest burn rate of the 3, so it might perform better out of your guns, especially the body guard with its shorter barrel.

Last edited:

lugerstew

my 380 loads

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I'm using these loads in a ruger lcp, sig sauer p938 and a glock 42
With rainier 100 grain plated bullets, I've been using Win 231, 3.3g, .975 coal at 901fps

With Extreme 100g plated bullets, i've been using Unique, 4.2g, .975 coal at 958fps.

These loads both shot well in all 3 of my 380 guns.

cdoc42

603, I can't comment on the powders you have, but in case you get the opportunity to further experiment, here's my recipes:

Hornady 90gr XTP - Titegroup 3.2gr
Everglades BUllet Co. (Florida) 95gr JHP CFE Pistol 4.0gr
Missouri Bullet Co. 95gr coated HP38 3.1gr

All loads do well in my Browning 1911-380 Black Label pistol

Shadow9mm

603, I can't comment on the powders you have, but in case you get the opportunity to further experiment, here's my recipes:

Hornady 90gr XTP - Titegroup 3.2gr
Everglades BUllet Co. (Florida) 95gr JHP CFE Pistol 4.0gr
Missouri Bullet Co. 95gr coated HP38 3.1gr

All loads do well in my Browning 1911-380 Black Label pistol
HP-38 and win 231 are the same powder

603Country

Thanks fellows. As soon as the honeydo’s are done, I’ll set up to load. Just got the brass out of the vibrating tumbler.

rodfac

Try 3.0 grains of Win 231 for a mid-level load with any 95-100 grain bullet. Get the OAL from a reputable manual. HTH's Rod

joneb

It will depend on the firearm but 3.0-3.3 gr of W-231 is a good start for a 95gr bullet. The COL will play a big part in this load.

603Country

Almost finished with the 9mm reloading. Couple of hundred to go (the grandkids shoot up my reloads). Next up is 380, and I will use W231. Probably will wind up with using 3.0 gr or up to maybe 3.2. I’ll run a bunch of rounds in each pistol to see if it cycles properly.

Rather than reload for the 380’s, which I don’t shoot much, I’d rather just buy it, but you know how that’s going these days. Oh well.

Thanks for the load info. I do appreciate it.

Shadow9mm

Almost finished with the 9mm reloading. Couple of hundred to go (the grandkids shoot up my reloads). Next up is 380, and I will use W231. Probably will wind up with using 3.0 gr or up to maybe 3.2. I’ll run a bunch of rounds in each pistol to see if it cycles properly.

Rather than reload for the 380’s, which I don’t shoot much, I’d rather just buy it, but you know how that’s going these days. Oh well.

Thanks for the load info. I do appreciate it.
If you already load for 9mm, I would load for 308 as well. Especially if you already have dies. Same primers and powders. If you have brass from shooting the 380s all you need is bullets.

603Country

Yes, I have all the stuff needed. Finished with the 9mm this afternoon and prepared and primed the 380 brass for reloading. I might as well quit griping and load it up. Might do 38/357 next…maybe.

LukeB

With powder being somewhat hard to find, I recently switch from Blue dot for smaller handgun loads to CFE pistol for all pistol loads including .45ACP. I will admit it is not the "ideal" powder for most loads, but it does a good job and I can buy in bulk and not worry about running out for any handgun load.

kmw1954

Load and shoot a lot of 380 and there are many good loads to be found. I have used 100gr Berry's and Extreme bullets but am now mostly using my own cast 102gr Lee RN.

Powders I have used include AA#2, AA#5, HP38 AND Ramshot Silhouette. I have found I like the AA#2 and Silhouette the best with all three bullets.

603Country

Powders on hand for the 380 are W231, Unique, and Universal. Later in the week I’ll have some Power Pistol. I plan to use the W231 for the 380.

kmw1954

Wasn't trying to distract form the subject, only relaying what I have been using and what has worked best. The only powder we have in common is the HP-38/W231.

I find the HP-38/W231 works great in my 9mm stuff but wasn't as impressed when used in the 380.

I too have a 380EZ and a Witness Pavona that we are shooing with.

603Country

After some shooting of test rounds in the two 380’s, I went with 3.1 gr of W231.

Thanks much for the load info ya’ll provided.

That’s a little darn case.

markr6754

I pickup the 95gr JHP bullets from Everglades and TJ Conevera ever chance I get. I've used plenty of powders...this small case is easy to load and I haven't gotten my self into any trouble following a rule,
My fast powders I stay close to 3 gr, a 1/10th grain lower a 10th higher. VV N-320, HP-038 (W231). Hi Skor X-700 stays just under 3gr

Mid powders load between 3.2gr and 3.5gr Universal, VV N-330

Slower Powders in the higher 3s to 4 grains (3.8-4.0) Silhouette, CFE-P

These are the powders I've tested thus far. Guns I've shot are Kimber Micro, Springfield 911, RIA Baby Rock, and Bersa Thunder 380. They all shoot very similarly, so I haven't bothered tailoring loads to the pistol.