Need a good .38 Spl +P load

DMZX

Could anyone suggest a good load using Unique in a .38 Spl +P with the 158 gr Hornady XTP? Speer #13 does not list a +P load for any jacketed 158 gr bullet.

crowbeaner

AA #5 witha 158 gr. std. load is 5.9 gr. +P is 6.9 gr. Works great and SD is minimal as long as you trim your cases and crimp properly.

joneb

This is from a Hornady load manual, test gun S&W m-15 4", primer fed 100, case trim length 1.145"
158gr XTP/HP C.O.L. 1.455"
+p = 4.5gr of Unique
max load = 4.7gr of U

nate45

I'm not sure a 158gr will expand well in your barrel length unless its a LSWC-HP and the good ones like the Rem and Win factory loads are as far as I know unavalible as components. I like the Speer 135gr GD SB over 5.8grs of Power Pistol in my 2in 605 I also use 13.5gr H-110 with the 180gr Nosler Partition in .357 cases of course. It expands as well as the GD and penetrates much deeper. The only drawback is the fierce recoil. :eek:

DMZX

Okay. Loaded up 10 cartridges with 5.5 grains of Unique under a 158 gr XPT. (Crowbeaner's suggested load)

Just got back from the G Pit.

That is an nice moderate, accurate load. It feels (recoil and muzzle blast) just like the UMC 125 gr +P load, but with much less muzzle flash.

Printed a nice 5 shot cluster @ ~25' that measured just under 3", standing off hand. The best I could do with the 125 gr UMC load was ~4.5".