Need a bit of help

Yankee Doodle

Can anyone give me a decent load, for a 124 gr. bullet in 9MM? To be used strictly as a practice load, and I am not looking for top end velocities. Must reliably function a SIG P290RS. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Lost Sheep

More information---and a caution

What is your criteria for "decent"? What loads have you tried before? What firearm are you using? What powders do you have available to you and do you have any preference?

The caution:

ALWAYS compare any information you get on the internet with information you get from authoritative sources (loading manuals, the powder manufacturer, etc.)

My load: I usually start at the bottom of the recommended range. In a semi-auto, I determine if the load functions reliably (insufficient recoil will result in failures to eject) even if I don't hold the gun rigidly. I work up heavier loads until such failures don't happen any more (observing for signs of overpressure).

Lost Sheep

Sevens

My load is not likely all too helpful because the powder is difficult to find -AND- the rumor is that it's slated to be shut down and out of production.

With that said, I use 4.3gr Hodgdon Universal behind plated 124gr RN slugs, loaded to 1.147" COAL. I developed the load with Berry's plated bullets but I tend to use more Xtreme plated bullets these days. I have loaded and sent down range tens of thousands of exactly this load... most often in ATK extruded brass (FC, Speer, Blazer headstamp) but also in PMC, R-P and Winchester brass, amongst others.

This load is not absolute top-end, but at the same time, it simply never, ever, ever fails to run any/every/all 9mm pistols that ever get a chance to eat it. I can say with complete confidence that this load has happily been sent through over two dozen entirely different pistols. And one carbine. :p

It's been over 16 months since I sent these over a chrono but the last time I did, it was a 5" barreled Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series and a 10 shot string returned a 1,061fps average, with a 23.1fps extreme spread and 8.42fps standard deviation.

I have a lot of different loads that I can say are "pet loads" to me, but I simply haven't produced any other single load in the pure volume that I have made of this one.

LE-28

I use 4.0- 4.1 gr of Titegroup with my 124gr 9mm loads. Any kind of bullet. It is the most accurate I load I have found with this powder in my three 9mm and is very economical.
I've seen people go clear down to 3.8gr but 4.0- 4.1gr is my favorite.
I load to 1.125 OAL.

I have also loaded the following all to 1.125 OAL with
5.5gr of BE-86
4.1 gr of Universal
3.7 gr of Bullseye
5.5 gr of Longshot Not a light load but not bad

I had a 231 load but I'm not finding it right now for some reason.

Hope this helps

Mike / Tx

So far in my P226TO and now in my wife's P320 I have used AA-2,5,7, Bullseye, CFE Pistol, and Ramshot Sil which didn't work out as well as I would have liked it to.

The majority of my loads however are using AA-5 & 7 and Bullseye, all lit with either CCI 500 or WIn WSP primers.

Jim243

Sorry, but not sure that I can be helpful since I still have pounds of Win 231 that I am still using. And unless you can find that or H-38, my load data will not do you any good.

But, just to point out that what you use as your standard load should also be your practice load. What you develop as your most accurate and functional load for your pistol is what you need to practice with. It does no good to develop one load for carry and something else that might throw you off during an emergency.

But, in trying to help. You can try, 4.5 grains of Win 231, set to 1.100 OAL with a CCI 500 SP primer when using a 124 grain JHP. That's what I use and it works very well.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim