Need a Beefy Riflecase

B. Lahey

I am going to be sending off my M14 clone for a total overhaul and I need a ridiculously strong case to ship it in. After this build it will be the most expensive rifle I own, a project years in the making, so I want serious protection from shipping gremlins and drunkards operating forklifts.

Any ideas?

If your case was run over by a tank and survived, I want to know about it.

bufordtjustice

Many smiths recommend not using a hard case for a variety of reasons to include "looking like a rifle case". Fulton armory has a blurb about this topic on their website. They also have a plain looking foam lined box that is very solid. Get on. Wrap your rifle up in towels and old t-shirts and ship that way.

For general carrying, traveling, etc, a good Pelican case is the way to go. They are lockable, have wheels, can be run over with a truck (according to their advertising), etc.

SR420

B. Lahey

I am going to be sending off my M14 clone for a total overhaul and I need a ridiculously strong case to ship it in.
After this build it will be the most expensive rifle I own, a project years in the making, so I want serious protection
from shipping gremlins and drunkards operating forklifts.

Any ideas?

Over the years Smith Enterprise, Inc. has custom built four modernized M14s for me.
I use heavy card board boxes with foam padding inside, just like the boxes CMP ships their M1Garands in.

The key to my success is spending a few extra dollars on UPS 2nd day air and insuring the contents for the full value after the build.
SEI returns the finished product in the same manner.

I have one Pelican case to transport my most valuable rifle, the Crazy Horse MK14 SEI Mod 0.

HOGGHEAD

Case

The Pelican's are nice-no doubt. But they are a bit pricey.

I use one made by Plano. It is very heavy duty. It has six lock snaps. And two heavy places to put key locks on. I believe you could drive over it with a truck. It is very heavy duty. It has rollers and a handle also. And it will handle two large or one very very large rifle. I paid $100 for it. I have shipped $4,000 rifles in it with no concern. Tom.

zoomie

Option A: Build one out of wood - like a crate.

Option B: Pelican or Storm.

With Option B, you'd have a travel case when you're done. The catch might be that if the gun radically changes its profile where you're sending it, the foam wouldn't fit for the return trip.

B. Lahey

Anyone used these?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ifle hard case&cm_ite=netcon&_requestid=92924

When I ship it, it's going to have a second stock and some other replacement parts riding along, so I'm thinking the eggcarton foam would be a better choice than the cut-out stuff. That way I wouldn't have to cut new foam inserts for use as a normal riflecase when I'm not hauling around an extra stock.

Probably wrap the rifle, stock, and parts in bubblewrap also...

Bogie

have the barreled action and stock taken apart to ship. It doesn't look like a rifle.

Get them to do a BIG box, and pay for the extra postage. And insurance.

SR420

Just this evening, I boxed up everything needed for my M14SE 16.25 build.

All of the parts, receiver, barrel, stock etc.. are in a box just like the one pictured below.

Some tape, a UPS shipping label plus air-fair to Tempe, Arizona is all that is required now :cool:

m1_garand.jpg

Last edited: