Need 1 sized 11MM Murata shell

Wyosmith

Hello to all.
I have a project I am trying to complete, but I need a shell. I want to make one cartridge for an old 1MM Murata and I need to fire-form a shell so I can get expanded dimensions of this chamber to make a set of dies from. I can cast it too, but I like to have both the fire-formed shell and a casting.

Can anyone out there donate a shell to me? Or let me buy one? If the donor likes I'd willing return it to them when I am finished getting the dies made up.

Last edited:

jonnyc

Oooh, that's a toughy. They don't come up too often. I only have one in my collection, and that's not going anywhere. I can do some measurements for you, however.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have seen reports on making cartridges from .348 Win. brass but have not done so. Also, some other cases of the period come close on the paper charts, but all of us know how that is. Last I recall, the dies could be obtained (not cheap!).

Jim

Wyosmith

Thanks JonnyC, but I already have the unfired measurements. The reason I want one it to fire-form it and get fired measurements.

Making them from 348s is OK, but they come out too short to be a correct fit. I don't know if that makes a lot of difference, but if I am going to custom made the dies I want them to be right.

Wyosmith

Is should, and in most cases it's all you need, but I have learned in these kind of jobs from 40 years of experience that having both a casting and a fire-formed case can be helpful.

James K

Member In Memoriam
As a general comment, if a case is slightly short, it may be possible to "spin" it by applying pressure to the side while it is turning in a lathe supported by an internal rod. It takes surprisingly little time to lengthen a case by a couple of millimeters.

Jim