Neck-sizing 444 Marlin ??

black mamba

Can .444 Marlin cartridges be "neck-sized" by running them only your bullet's seating depth into a .44 mag carbide sizing die? Has anyone tried this before?

There is some taper to the Marlin cartridge, so you couldn't run it very far into the die, but there wouldn't be any taper to the last 1/2" or there wouldn't be sufficient bullet pull. Seems to me it should work.

Missionary

Greetings Yes you can. The issue you are looking for is whether the mag dies will give you sufficient or too much neck tension on the bullet. For cast bullets there may be enough differences in your chamber size as compared to the mag sizer that the resized case really has too much tension for cast bullets. Too much case reduction and you can resize the cast bullet. For jacketed it really is not an issue. Seldom see a real tight chamber out side of custom jobs that would require a very tight resizer. In the end it is just a matter of diameters.
Mike in Peru

PA-Joe

Most 444s are lever actions and should be full length resized so that you do not stress the action.

totaldla

I neck size 45-70 about .75-.9 inches down the case - just enough to get the necessary neck tension. I would imagine the 444 would work the same. You are looking for enough neck tension to prevent bullet setback when in the magazine tube. I also use the Lee FCD for a very tight crimp.

I sure hope I haven't been "stressing the action" all these years :p

GeauxTide

Resize until the case will drop into the chamber. Straight cases, in my experience, stretch more quickly than bottleneck.