Necessity is the mother of invention

ClemBert

The one thing I don't like about the Ruger Old Army is the base pin retaining pin design that requires you to use a slotted screw driver or something flat like a penny to turn the retaining pin. It is impossible to apply enough finger pressure to turn it. For the most part this isn't a big deal. After all, who is going to need the convenience of turning that thing in the field using just your fingers. Clearly, though, when you talk about having the ability to change out cylinders in the field I can definitely see the advantage of not having to use a tool to turn that retaining pin. Who wants to fumble with a penny or screw driver in the field? Not me! This is one of the advantages that the 1858 Remmy design has over the ROA in my opinion.

I decided not long after buying my first ROA that I wanted to shoot 45 Colt black powder cartridges from it. To do this, as most people know, you need a conversion cylinder to allow for shooting cartridge ammo. To load and reload a conversion cylinder you have to remove the cylinder from the frame each and every time after going BANG-BANG six times. The last thing I want to do is fumble for a screw driver every time I want to pull out the cylinder or put it back in. Murphy's law will tell you that screw driver will disappear in no time flat. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention". So into ClemBert's Frankenstein lab I went to solve the problem. I just crawled out of the lab with my new invention. The "screwdriverless ROA base pin retaining pin", now known as a "ClemBert pin". Without further adieu here it is:

ROARetainingPin005.jpg

I purchased a spare ROA stainless steel base pin retaining pin from MidwayUSA. I ground the tip flat then soldered a big ol' giganto stainless steel washer to it. I used a high silver content solder and a propane torch. This is a first pass pic of it. Purty, ain't it?

ROARetainingPin007.jpg

Then I proceeded to chop up that washer and grind and file and polish that sucker until I had something that would fit my fat fingers. Here's a pic of the new invention next to an original ROA retaining pin.

ROARetainingPin017.jpg

This is what it looks like installed. That's a stainless steel Belt Mountain base pin with the knurled end.

ROARetainingPin023.jpg

Another closeup pic. Yes, those are special tracer rounds installed in the cylinder....j/k....those are dummy snap caps....hehehehe.

ROARetainingPin026.jpg

This pic shows it rotated to allow the base pin to slide out. It takes very little effort to turn it.

ROARetainingPin021.jpg

Finally, a pic showing my 45 Colt conversion cylinder installed complete with the ClemBert pin. Note the other original cylinder parts in the background.

Last edited:

robhof

robhof

That looks down right factory, great work. I just use the plunger/pin setup that came with it and use the pin retaining spring to hold it in place, never had a problem and the b/p pin has the added advantage of tapping out stuck cartridges, when the start sticking after firing awhile and residue builds up. I considered the Belt Mtn though, as it really makes it look modern and sleek.

Smokin_Gun

Clembert real nice job on the ROA Cylinder Pin Screw...
In answer to your first question both my ROAs I can turn with finger pressure to remove the cylinder pins ... I fire them two ways sometimes jus' the Cylinder pin in the ROA with the levere removed and turn the screw, or I shoot um with the loadin' lever and cyl. pin assembled leaving the screw in the open position and jus' let the latched lever hold the picly. pin in for .45Colt R&D cyl. reloading or if I'm usin' my Triple P loader with the C&B cyl.

But I like your invention..how is it for fast draw? (holster use :O)
I'm guessin' as long as you keep the protruding key lower than the surface of the cylinder it presents no problem.

A big +1 for you Clembert ;O)

Last edited:

ClemBert

Smokin Gun, I had another version on the drawing table. It basically had a knurled bolt head on it instead of the flat slot of version #1. It never made it out of the Frankenstein lab because of my inability to make a good solder joint with it. That version would have had a smaller profile or about the same diameter as the screw head and a round profile.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I like it, hope you don't mind but I'm copying this down and giving it to my buddy a gunsmith/machinist and see if he can't do the same for mine. Love shooting it but the tear down for cleaning is a pain.

ClemBert

Daggum Grump...you didn't even give me a chance to get to the US Patent Office...LOL! Borrow away!!! :D Hey, when your buddy perfects that thing ya gotta post some pics.

BTW, I had a conversation with Belt Mountain some time ago and tried to convince them to make a ClemBert pin. They said they had bigger fish to fry at the time. Oh well, maybe some day. It would be nice if someone with CNC equipment could machine a complete monolithic ClemBert pin without having to do all the soldering and filing.