necessary parts etc. for AR-15

dirksterg30

Well, I finally succumbed to Black Rifle Disease. I've got a Rock River Arms Elite on the way. This is my first Black Rifle; actually it's my first rifle. What is necessary to keep the AR running, besides a cleaning kit (besides ammo & magazines, of course.)

marks655

Not much. No special tools are needed unless you want to replace a barrel or something. I have never had a firing pin or an extractor break. The only thing I can think of is a bore guide. They requre a different style bore guide than a bolt gun. And maybe some long pipe cleaners.

I don't shoot steel-case ammo in my AR-15's so I can'y say if that makes a difference in reliability.

I'm sure you will like it. I have two and have had no trouble with either (Colt and Bushmaster). Also had an Armalite - excellent rifle. Wish I hadn't sold it.

It depends on what you plan to do with it, but like he said, not much is needed to keep an AR running. They really don't break very often. It is more common to see some of the small parts get lost during routine maintenance and the like, or see the handguards crack while trying to be muscled off the wrong way.

I keep a few small parts on hand for my homebuild M4gery. I keep a spare firing pin (never seen one break either, but hey you never know) and firing pin retainer, extractor and extractor spring, a set of the takedown pin detents and springs and a spare spring and snap ring for the dust cover.

These will cover 99% of any break/loss I've seen.

Lycanthrope

A chamber brush and mop is always nice. I find FP-10 in the bolt carrier group keeps the carbon from building up......I hate scraping.

Lycanthrope

I don't think you need a broken shell extractor, but they aren't expensive.

A bore guide is a plastic piece that helps center your cleaning rod and keeps you from dinging the muzzle if you clean from the front (which will destroy your accuracy).

I recommend a good 1 piece plastic coated rod like the Dewey. Pricey, but well worth it.

MeekAndMild

You need a big bottle of CLP, a good toothbrush, a plastic covered cleaning rod, a bore snake, previously mentioned bore guide, a pistol cleaning rod you've bent to the angle needed for chamber cleaning.

Then you need this gizmo, called an Accuwedge, and some of these things, Lug Recess Swabs.

Lycanthrope

He doesn't need the accuwedge...he has a RRA. Upper to lower fit is very tight on those and the wedge doesn't effect accuracy or reliability.

marks655

bore guide guidance

A bore guide is a plastic piece that helps center your cleaning rod and keeps you from dinging the muzzle if you clean from the front (which will destroy your accuracy).

No. I never clean from the muzzle unless it's required (e.g. M1 garand).

A typical bore guide fits inside the receiver (after you remove the bolt/carrier) It serves to keep the brushes and patches from picking up all sorts of crap on the way into the chamber, and to keep the cleaning solvent from running all over the place, and to keep the rod nice and straight so it doesn't scrape against anything - like the barrel or throat.

I recommend one for all of your rifles (some can be found that fit several types of bolt guns but the AR15 usually requires a different style).

Bore guides and good quality (one piece e.g. 'Dewey' type) cleaning rods are essential to keep from damaging the barrel of your gun when cleaning.