Neat little Model 53 at local shop

uglygun

22Jet chambered revolver, always wanted a hotrod handgun for zapping close in varmints while out shooting and this little gun almost looks like it is just the ticket. Down at the local gunshop sits an almost NIB(box is a bit worse for wear but it's still the orig. box) model 53 with what looks like a 4 inch barrel and it even has all of it's chamber inserts for firing 22lr. This is one neat NEAT little gun, it looks like it's a miniature model 27 when looking at the recessed chambers even if they are REAL close together. 40grain Vmaxes handloaded to around 1600 maybe 1700fps would still make for some nice squirrel poppin at closer ranges.

Anybody around these parts have one of these guns? I've heard that the casings tend to force up against the recoil shield with hot loads causing the cylinder to hang up, anyone found a way to use the hotter loads without this problem?

The gun is sitting in the consignment case for 550dollars and I'm almost ready to hop on this little gun, no clue when if ever I'll see another one in the wonderful state of Ca. where all that is not on the approval list(in this case, discontinued so therefore not on the list) is barred from being imported into the state for sale.

Bill Adair

You better drop everything right now and run (not walk) back to that shop, to put a down payment on that model 53!!!!!

They never sell that cheap here, in good or excellent condition!

No problem with set back, if you clean the chambers and cartridges well before firing. Any oil on the ammo, or in the chambers, will likely cause problems.

A friend of mine has one, and they are fun to shoot!

Bill

7th Fleet

I inherited a Model 53 from my Fathers estate and it's never been fired, it has the .22 LR chamber inserts still with it and I would not sell it for that amount. I haven't seen another one in many years, they only made a very limited number of these guns. They were built from 1960-74 and came in 4-6 and 8 3/8 inch barrels. My two year old Blue Book asigns a value of $735.00 for one in 100% condition with a 10% premium for one with the longer barrel.

7th

uglygun

Nope, didn't last. Called the shop this morning and somebody purchased it.

This is the second CHOICE S&W that I've missed out on at this shop, first one was an almost like new 28-2 with no box for 480 and then there was this virtually new 53 for somewhere around 580. Missed the 28-2 by about 3 days and sounds like it was the same case with the 53.

what happened is I saw the gun while the forums were down, was going to come in here and ask about the gun a bit then likely go down to buy it after letting you guys make my decision for me(like I need help). Anyhow, forums came back up recently and as soon as I remembered I posted the question, too late though.

Would have been a neat little gun to own but I likely would have gotten too hooked on it and shot the living heck out of the thing, even if I would have to form my own brass.

Mark my words though, next time I see a gem down at the gunshop I am going to pounce on it like 500 pound panther.

uglygun

Mike Irwin, remember that this is Ca. and that those discontinued guns are just going to keep getting more and more rare as they fall into the hands of people who intend on keeping them through out their lives and passing them onto family.

Seriously, I wish I hopped on the 28-2 when I had the chance as it was a tight gun that showed a very small amount of wear(would rate the gun at 98%+ condition). I know it was expensive compared to what the things average out of state but I'll tell you this, I have yet to see another 28-2 that was as nice as that one was.

This is the sad boat I'm in here in Ca., all the S&W revolvers I admire or want are discontinued guns that will never be on the stupid "approval list" thingy, hence every gun I want I have to sort of luck out and find on the used market and is about the only source for the guns in Ca. Remember, I can't find one out of state and have an FFL to FFL transfer to get it in my hands as the FFL can't touch anything that isn't on the approval list.

Suddenly 480 for that 28-2 sounds a little more reasonable to me when I look at it from a Ca. perspective. That's the gun I'm a touch pissed about letting go, missed it by like 72 hours of all things. The 53, while being a neat gun I can't say that I was overly moved by it but for the price I saw it at I shouldn't have hesitated.