Near miss in the reloading process

Today was a near miss day for me. Call me lucky lucky lucky!

Started loading some .243 rounds with W760 and Speer SPBT. Checked the scale with a 50 gr. weight and it was good (balance beam scale.) Wife came in and made me turn down the music and said her Mom and Dad were coming by in about 3 minutes to pick up the Fathers Day Card. I went upstairs, and 20 minutes later went back to the loading room. Set the scale for what I thought was 41.0 gr. and proceeded to load up a few test rounds, using several different charges of powder. Marked the cases etc as I went along. Got done, put them into a plastic box and thought about whether or not to do another test batch using different bullets and powder, or just quit and test the ones I had just finished. Decided to go ahead and load up some test rounds using Nosler bullets. Started to recheck the scale with a test weight and went "@#$#%^$#! What the $#@%@&*% was I thinking!!??" I had overcharged those by 10 grains. The heavy weight on the scale bar was still at 50 grains. The cases were nearly full, and the book said nothing about compressed load, but I had barged ahead not knowing what I know now.

Long story short, after some more cussing and expletives, I gathered my wits and settled down, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder back in the canister, and redid the loads. That was a lucky ending to a goof up that could have been a miserable train wreck if not discovered. Essentially the charge was 25% above what I wanted.

Moral of this tale: Check everything 3 times. If you get interrupted, when you go back, begin at the beginning and check everything you have done so far to make sure you don't skip something in the process of preparing.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WVMountaineer

It happens. Glad you caught it. I never walk away from reloading once the scale has been calibrated until the bullets are seated for the same reason. God Bless

Jim243

If you get interrupted, when you go back, begin at the beginning and check everything you have done so far to make sure you don't skip something in the process of preparing.

That's the point, if you have to stop, when you get back you start the process over again from the beginning. You check the scale re-check the weights and even check your die settings as if you were starting all over again, you are.

Stay safe and glad you caught it.
Jim

Single-Sixer

Did something similar once with a lot of 9MM Luger. 50 rounds, no powder. Caught it strictly by chance. It pays to have just a little OCD in this hobby!

Sawdust---I am considering a digital scale. That little screw up yesterday is bothering me more than just a little bit. A couple of times I have accidently bumped the 1 gr. weight on that balance beam scale, and had to dump powder and start over. It isn't worth being an old tite wad and blowing up a gun and maybe losing an eye or something. Thanks for the comment.

sawdustdad

One advantage of the digital (despite its tendency to wander +/- a few tenths of a grain) is that you can dump 10 charges and get an average easily. If the variance inherent in the digital scale is an issue, it can be used to do a quick "smell test" on the balance beam scale, as a second data point.

I put my venerable RCBS balance beam scale away about 6 months ago and haven't used it since I got a digital scale. But I'm not loading bullseye competition ammo, and not trickling charges. I'm mostly loading pistol ammo on a progressive press at this time of year. Different needs, different solutions.

Longshot4

I have heard some good ways to prevent that Ops! When I started many years ago I had my almost Ops! That was when I started to load in steps and not stop in the middle of a process. I had also talked to the boss up stairs about being disturbed. I let her know that when I blow my head off she will have to support the family and possibly me... :eek: Keep your cool and stick to the rules of safety. Have good lighting.