(NC) Which is more dumb, this guy, or the reaction of the school?

Drizzt

Bondsman says he didn't notice school

Second trial under way in 2001 armed chase

By ANGELA HEYWOOD BIBLE, Staff Writer

HILLSBOROUGH -- A Durham bail bondsman accused of running across a school playground with his gun drawn in March 2001 told a jury Tuesday that he didn't notice he was on school property because he was focused on chasing a bond jumper.

At his trial in Orange County Superior Court, Derrick Lorinza Hester, 48, said he realized the mistake when he saw a teacher and her fifth-grade class playing outside.

"I ran with [my gun] down by my leg so they couldn't see it," said Hester, who is charged with carrying a pistol onto school property, a felony. "I didn't want to startle the kids."

Hester, who owns Hester's Bail Bonds in Durham, could lose his bondsman's license if convicted.

About 10:35 a.m. on March 22, 2001, Hester and three other bondsmen chased Lakendris McAdoo, a fugitive who owed Hester $12,000 in forfeited bonds, from a house on Fuller Road to nearby Efland-Cheeks Elementary School.

Gerald Haskins, a bondsman who accompanied Hester to the scene and ran through the school with his gun in its holster, was convicted April 10 on the same charge.

On Tuesday, teacher Marilyn Liner told the court about the scary moments after she saw two bondsmen -- one with his gun drawn -- approaching the playground where about 25 of her students were playing.

"I carried [the children] into the classroom and told them to get on the floor," she said, "and I cut the light off."

Liner called Principal Rebecca Horne, who called 911.

The school stayed in lock-down state for more than two hours as Orange County sheriff's deputies sorted out the situation.

Hester told the court that before the chase reached the school, he saw McAdoo fumbling with the right side of his shirt, so Hester drew his gun and lost his holster.

After being arrested, Hester cooperated with deputies and willingly gave a statement without a lawyer.

"I had nothing to hide," said Hester, who is now represented by Chapel Hill lawyers Kirk Osborn and Amos Tyndall. "I was out doing my job. I told the truth."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1780646p-1788620c.html

Fred Hansen

the imbeciles at the school that can't tell the good guys from the criminals. Why doesn't this guy just plead that he was acting as a bounty hunter? They are exempt from all sorts of laws regarding pursuit/capture?

stinger

How was the school's reaction dumb?

They did what they had to do to protect the kids. They felt a threat and reacted accordingly. They did exactly what they should have done.

Stinger

KSFreeman

What school reaction?

They are just witnesses. The prosecutor is the one who reacted.

When you draw your pistol, there will be consequences. It's, how you say in America, Problem #2.

Blackhawk

KSF, problem #2 has more iterations than Murphy's Law or Clinton's explanations.

Anybody keeping count....? :D

KSFreeman

Blackhawk, no, as Uncle Jeff said, just one. However, the "after action" monster is a hydra with many heads.:D

Joe Demko

Let's see...guys with guns running around...get the kids inside on the floor (what we used to call "taking cover" in the army). Nope, don't see where the school did anything wrong, including calling 911. Nothing in the article indicates that the bail bondsman & his boys were wearing any kind of uniform. So we have some guys in civies w/ guns chasing another guy in civies. Seems to me that the situation required some sorting out.
Another thing to remember is that this was about money, not about justice. Hester was concerned about his $12,000. As a parent and a teacher, I don't give a crap how much money he was owed I don't want him giving armed chase through a school or its grounds or (especially) getting into a gunfight there. Since he had his pistola drawn, I presume he must have been ready and willing to shoot. When his customer crossed onto the school grounds, it was time to give up the chase. If he had to eat the $12,000, oh well. That is one of the risks one assumes in his business.