Nazi stuff at gun shows

RimfireChris

So, Mike Irwin brought up a point about how the last gun show he went to had a lot of nazi stuff. It's been a bit since I've been to one myself, but the last several I've been to I have noticed this trend. I'm not complaining, it's a free country and I like a Luger as much as the next guy, but it did seem like there was more 3rd Reich stuff around. I'm wondering, why? Is it because more and more of the WWII Vets-God Bless 'em- are dieing and their widows or kids/grandkids aren't interested in guns and are selling off a lot of the bring backs from outta the closets? Have you all noticed this too? Just curious and didn't wanna hijack the thread.

MisterPX

Could be the GG dying off, or oculd be that more folks are realising how much that stuff cgoes for and are producing fakes.

No, it wasn't the last gun show I went to.

It was an antique & collectible gun show at the Richmond Fair Grounds in 1994-1994-1996.

Every gun show I've been to since has had SOME Nazi items, but nothing like the show in Richmond.

The Nazi stuff at that show might not have bothered me had it not been for Nazi Pig Man, one of the dealers in Nazi crap.

He was about 4 feet tall, about 900 pounds (OK, maybe not that bad, but he was a butterball idiot), and was wearing Wermacht clothes. Where he ever got a pair of pants sized in 186 extra non-slender I'll never be able to figure out...

Then there was his car. A VW Rabbit with PZKWIV on the license plate and Nazi eagle and swastika cap badges glued to the lights.

It was pretty evident that this clown was living his version of an Aryan Dream.

RickB

I see a lot of it at my local show, too. It doesn't bother me to see it, but it is interesting that there seems to be a lot more interest in Nazi Germany than in Imperial Japan, or Soviet Russia, or other players in the war that have since disappeared.

scorpion_tyr

I personally don't mind the items. I'm all about history, and owning a piece of history is always a cool thing.

I would have NO problem at all buying a gun with a Nazi stamp. However I would NEVER buy from someone selling the ideals or the lifestyle.

Buzzcook

Unfortunately there is a lot of romanticism about Nazis and their stuff.

Lots of fake Nazi daggers etc. at every gun show I've been to. Real stuff as well. It's there because it sells.

chris in va

It's history, I suppose. People that are *really* into the stuff bother me though.

A coworker has a thing for Nazi stuff at the gun shows. He has more than two Mausers.:p I rib him every now and then, calling him a "closet Nazi".

Wildalaska

There is two types of Nazi stuff:

1.Gen-uwine war trophys and scholarly books on weapons, units etc..

2. And neo-nazi skinheadloony cowardly Uncle Adolf Garbage..

Unfortunately the two get mixed up, both by visitors and by vendors.

"1" above is cool. "2" alone or in combo is uncool. It also makes my hinky meter rise, since any folks who sell or buy or have "2" are threats to me.

Each of us of course decides what is "1" or "2"depending on the circumstances. Nothing is black and white. See Irwins post above for a good example.

WildandiknowthedifferenceAlaska ™©2002-2011

drail

Depends on where you live. Here in Indiana where I live (close to Martinsville) we have a HUGE population of Klan members and skinheads. I have also lived in other Midwestern States and personally seen communities that are absolutely racist. Like it or not in a "free" country you'll find this kind of stuff.

44 AMP

Staff
there seems to be a lot more interest in Nazi Germany than in Imperial Japan, or Soviet Russia, or other players in the war that have since disappeared.

That's because it looks "cooler". Leaving out the political ideals of the Nazis, and the historical evils they perpetrated, their stuff looks cool. At least it does to a lot of people. Eagles and lightning bolts, black uniforms, etc....

There are a lot of people who don't understand, or don't care about the real evil the Nazis were, and what they did. All they see is neat looking militaria. And as the people with direct first hand experience of the Nazis pass on, it becomes harder and harder for younger people to fully understand what was really behind all that symbolic militaria.

My own fascination, and later education began when I was a pre-teen, building models. German aircraft and armor from WWII are neat looking. Colorful, even, when compared to most other nation's equipment. And they used a huge variety of stuff, rather than just a handful of models, so the attraction is also variety. Building the tanks, planes, ships, etc., led me to to learn the history.

I learned to speak, read, and write German, I lived for a year and a half in Germany. And yes, I have read Mein Kampf. No, I do NOT subscribe to the Nazi political creed. Not one tiny freakin' bit! And I think people who do are at best, idiots, and at worst dangerous.

Perhaps I am a rare individual, someone who can completely separate my fascination with history and the guns, tanks, planes, uniforms, etc., from who they were, and what they did and believed in. It appears that many, if not most people cannot do that. And that's fine with me. As long as they don't try to ban the history, as represented in the artifacts. Because when they do, we forget. And we must NEVER forget what happened, and why.

Yes, original Nazi memorabilia is showing up a bit more than it used to, because the generation that took those items as prizes are passing. All the WWII stuff is coming out of the closets and displays of the previous owners, as their heirs get rid of "useless" relics for useful cash. And reproductions are selling too, for those who want items without wanting to pay the price of a collectible original. I'm glad for some of it, because while I did pay market price for my Luger and P-38, I am fine with a repro holster for a lot less than an original.

My model building led me to an interest in all WWII equipment, and the history of the era. I am a bit of a WWII buff, and have collected a lot of books and models, and firearms, from all sides. I don't go for medals and flags, not my thing (although I am planning to get some repro flags for display) I have German guns, Russian guns, English guns, Japanese guns, and US guns. I suppose to round things out I should also get some Italian and French ones :)barf:), and maybe someday I will, but that's low on my list.

I agree with Mike about some of the dealers in Nazi items. The items don't bother me at all, but some of the dealers, and a few of the customers worry me more than a bit. Nazi Pig Man really should be driving a kubelwagen (the "thing") or a beetle. A Rabbit is just....wrong.:rolleyes:

We have talked about this kind of thing before, how the items and symbols of historical evil affect people, and the ways they react to them. Some folks go way overboard, in both directions.

I got a Feldmutze forage cap one time (it happened to be Swiss, but looked like the German one, minus the eagle and swastika) and had one of the guys I worked with tell me how he used to shoot people who wore hats like that.

I once swore never to own an AK, because it was my enemy's rifle. (I also swore never to own an AR, but for a much different reason;)) Today I have matured a bit, and have owned both, although currently I have neither.

As long as you can make the distinction between the historical artifacts (and their reproductions) of evil and the philosophy of their originators, all is well. IF you cannot, or will not, that's a problem. For all of us.

brickeyee

I used to occasionally see a KKK guy at Manassas, VA shows at the National Guard Armory.

Everyone walking buy him used to make comments along the lines of 'get the hell out of here.'

Bogie

I don't mind the history museum stuff.

I think that the show promoters should be encouraged to get the racist crap out of there.

And I do both sides of the tables.

m.p.driver

The stuff has always been at shows,and tell you the truth I've haven't noticed any increase.Does it bother me,no it's a part of history.Just like the photo album i picked up at one show,individual who was in the 3rd Armored,following his start to finish ,ending with the occupation forces in Germany.
One thing i cant stand is all the wanna be's who show up decked out in camos,pistol on hip,tricked out 10-22 slung over their shoulder,and you know they have never been in so much as the boy scouts.

BlueTrain

Like it or not, before WWII there was a lot of admiration for Germany. Lots of people in this country have German ancestry, including myself. Even during the war there was a lot of admiration for the German armed forces by us and by the British, though I doubt there was so much in Russia and the other Eastern European countries. My father was a POW for about a year, coincidentally held in a prison camp only about 30 miles from where I was stationed during my time in Germany in the army. My son, on the other hand, was stationed in the same town as Elvis. However, my father never had a bad word to say about the Germans, Germany or the German armed forces.

Reenactors, however, are another kettle of fish. They know more about wars, armies and battles than the people who actually took part in them. The German army is clearly fascinating and those reenactors or living history, as a more current expression goes, struggle to keep separate some of the parts of history. I don't know if Civil War reenactors have the same problem or not. Many reenactors are veterans and have no illusions about war. It's just a passing hobby, by which I mean when you reach, well, my age, it's time to quit playing soldier. You just don't look the part anymore. Weapons only form one part of the interest and hardly the biggest.

markj

Like it or not, before WWII there was a lot of admiration for Germany.

1936 Olympics, all the papers proclaimed Germany as a great vacation destination :)

Had a nazi living across the road from me 30 years ago, cops kept busting him for carrying long knives in public. Daggers or some such crap.

Wife and Mom in law detest nazi, they are german, mom in law is from east berlin.

Easy to take over a country as hitler did, his party offered a way out of the financial situation they were in after WW1. The ratifications against germany after ww1 kept them in poverty, he offered hope and of course eliminated all opposers and any that spoke out against his party.

jtmckinney

I also have a German anchestry on my fathers side but they were already in San Saba Texas by the 1880's. I don't pay any attention to the Nazi stuff though I would like to have a real Luger, don't need one just want one, probably never get one, who knows.

I have always been mildly interested in the politics that enabled the Germans to gain the power they did. This interest peaked after the 9/11 attacks and some of the things we were hearing from our own government. I was doing a lot of flying in 2001,2002 and 2003 and got a wierd feeling everytime I heard the airport announcement to notify the authoritys if I noticed any strange or unusual activity. I thought they could have worded that better.

44 Amp, you said:
"And we must NEVER forget what happened, and why."

A few years ago I purchased the book "The Nazis, A Warning From History" by Laurence Rees. I would suggest this book to anyone interested. I have seen the advertisement for the PBS documentary but have never seen it.

Have a great day.
James

Last edited:

Ludarue

Sorry, I figured that was what you meant.

Pre-WWII Germany was seen as a great vacation spot, and admired by the rest of the world purely because of all the propaganda films that were released. In reality its citizens were seeing the truth and suffering at the hands of the NAZI party. It wasn't just Jewish people that suffered (yes of course they suffered the most) everybody did.

testuser

It's not just the Nazi things that bother me sometimes, but I've seen some over-the-top politically themed items as well.