Nazi Mauser HSC .32ACP

Jason Demond

I just got it today. It's in 98% condition with the original holster and mags. Serial number 930XXX. Anyone have any idea what I got? I can't seem to find much info about it on the net. It'a a sweet little gun, and very well made with no machine marks.

CWL

I don't claim to be an expert. but why is this a "Nazi" Mauser?

Firearms made for the German Military usually had arsenal proof marks and sometimes swasticas on them.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think .32s were issued as official sidearms by the Wehrmacht (maybe to generals, but then you'd see lots of stampings on them).

It may have been privately carried as a weapon.

Jason Demond

It has the Eagle over N proof marks on it. I don't claim to be an expert either, thats why I asked.:D

I scoured the internet for information but came up empty, I had to order a couple books from my local library. I will pick them up in a couple days.

It looks like this only it's in better shape.
976104611.jpg

Dfariswheel

The Mauser HSc was one of the three best pocket pistol designs from the 30's. The other two were the Walther PP series, and the Sauer 38H.

The HSc was used by the German police, Army, and Navy. It was popular with senior officers of all services.
For some reason, the HSc wasn't loaded with proof marks like most other German pistols. Most had Commercial markings and finish until late in the war.

The Mauser has an unusual slide stop opperation. If the slide is retracted, unless there is a loaded magazine in place, the slide will lock open. It can be closed only by inserting a loaded or empty magazine. When a loaded magazine is inserted, the slide automatically chambers a live round.
To close on an empty chamber, remove and reinsert the empty magazine.

The safety is one of the best. When the safety is applied, the firing pin is completely removed from any possible contact from the hammer.

Check the frame carefully around the recoil stop area. The HSc was prone to cracking in this area.

The HSc is often refered to as an Art Decco firearm.

A slightly modified version was made during the 60's. After Mauser stopped importing it, they sold/leased the design to Gambia in Spain. The early Spanish guns were close copies of the post-war HSc, but the later production was changed to a high capacity version, which destroyed Mauser's original concept of a pocket auto.

johnwill

The Mauser has an unusual slide stop opperation. If the slide is retracted, unless there is a loaded magazine in place, the slide will lock open. It can be closed only by inserting a loaded or empty magazine. When a loaded magazine is inserted, the slide automatically chambers a live round. To close on an empty chamber, remove and reinsert the empty magazine.
This operation is the same with a lot of the old Mauser pistols, I have a 1910 (6.35), 1914 (7.65), and a 1934 (7.65), all have the same behavior with the slide lock. I guess Mauser decided this was a good idea and used the hell out of it. :)

The German military issued .32s HEAVILY, mostly those made in conquored nations, such as the Czech guns.

The most prolific issuer of .32s appears to have been the Luftwaffe, mainly because of the light weight and small size of the guns, I guess.

Herr Walther

Somewhere on your pistol you will find one of these two marks to estimate its age.

1. a crown over N. This was the old Waffenampt prior to April 1st 1940.

2. an eagle over N. This was the new Waffenampt after the above date.

The numerals on this pistol are a war-time factory identifer. These were used to keep the allies from knowing where Germany's weapons were built

The code that appears on the pistol in the image is not in my code book. If it had built in Oberndorf, it should have had the numerals 925 under that eagle.

Mauser also used 42, R42, S42, S42G, and byf at Oberndorf.
They used amn at the Neuwied plant and amo at the Waldeck-Kassel plant.

There were several others as well, but you get the idea.

They're good little pistols.

Erich

I had one just like it! Neat little guns, and the .32 is wonderfully accurate.

Forrest, Inc. has repro mags that work, or they did in the late '80s anyway.

Jason Demond

Thank you all for your replys!

According to Blue Book my gun was a German Army Officer issue pistol. I am going to try my luck at e-mailing Mauser direct and see what they say..