Navy Yank Pietta kit.

RRR

Got all the machine marks off my Pietta 36 Navy Yank 36 steel frame kit finnely(wore my thumb out) got her blued no pix sorry. I shoot Buff bulls 125grn over 13grns of P-dex can hit a torso size target even time @ 60 yards or so! funny thing its a steel target and to me it seem that the smoke clears before I hear the ring LOL balls are what 65grns? But anywho how long dcan I really keep my gun(36 Navy) loaded? I have central air/heat stays about the same all the time so I figger two weeks or so. I should know this but.:(

mykeal

A .375 round ball weighs 79 grains; a .380 round ball weighs 82 grains.

Real black powder is very stable and can be left in a gun indefinitely; if it gets wet simply dry it out and it will fire without degradation.

Pyrodex is also very stable and has a very long shelf life if kept covered in a canister or gun chamber. However, if it gets wet it degrades badly; Hodgdon's web site says Pyrodex that has been wetted is 'ruined' (their wording).

fastforty

Your load sounded a tad light, so I did a quick search for a reference load. Gander Mountain lists a steel frame .36 Navy as having "30-grain loose powder loading capacity". Sounds kinda stiff, I only shoot 28gr in my .44. Maybe the 30gr is to be divided between 6 chambers, LOL.
Here
Sounds like your bullet may be going a bit on the slow side, coupled with the hang time of a punted football ;)

Last edited:

mykeal

13 grains is reasonable for a heavy round like the one he's shooting. That bullet takes up a lot of chamber volume. 20 to 25 grains would be the range for the .375/.380 round ball. Full chamber loads are safe but inaccurate.

madcratebuilder

Colt specifications for the .36 belt model is 15 to 20 gr of FFFg, with 18 recommended, that is for both round ball and conical bullets.

RRR

Going to go up to 15gr to see how she does. Funny thing My manual that came with said 9-12 . 9gr was like shooting a cap gun LOL