Navy Arms kentucky rifle

intruder

I just obtained a navy arms flintlock kentucky rifle with a full stock. My question is how do you clean it the barrel does't come off like my TC or Lyman? There is no pin to pull that locks the barrel to the stock. What is the procedure to clean a black powder fire arm with the barrel in the stock? I usually just remove the barrel remove the bushing from the touchhole and place the barrel in a bucket in hot soapy water and use the ramrod to pull the water up into the barrel. I know on percusion guns you can put a tube on the nipple and draw the water up. But what do you do with a flintlock.

I'd like to shoot this gun but haven't because of this cleaning issue and it's driving me nuts

l.cutler

I just run a couple of patches wet with cool water, then a couple of dry patches to get the water out, followed by one soaked with Ballistol. It is simpler than removing a barrel.

Gbro

Even if there are no wedges common to the T?C's the barrel will probably be held on by pin's and they can be pushed out. One must be very careful not to mark up the wood.
But the barrel need not come out for every cleaning. (would if you were sloppy with water). I would take barrel off only if the rifle was exposed to wet weather and/or end of season cleanup.
I wouldn't worry about the cleaning issue as there are many Black Powder solvents on the market. Here is a recipe for a solvent you can make.
http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/black_powder_solvent.htm

have fun shooting brother.

Steve499

I have removed barrels to pump water through as you mentioned and I have the plastic tubes to screw into the nipple hole as well as one for a flinter I have which has a threaded vent.

I rarely use any of those any more. I started taking a bottle of Dollar General rubbing alcohol to the range with me to moisten cleaning patches with and would usually run several sopping wet ones through the bore when I finished just to get the worst out, since I sometimes wait until the following day to do the final cleaning. I found that there was little to clean!

Now, I remove the lockplate, plug the vent and fill the bore with alcohol. After it sits for a while I'll unplug the vent and pump it out with a rod and patch. Follow that with a few soaked patches until they come out clean, run a dry patch or two through, followed by a patch soaked with olive oil and I'm done.

The alcohol evaporates rapidly, doesn't promote rust like water does if a little gets missed somewhere and seems to cut the fouling as well or better than soap and water. There are lots of concoctions one can throw together to do the job with, all of which will work just fine, but at 69 cents a bottle, no mixing and no rust, I've pretty much settled on it.

sewerman

cleaning the smoke pole

use really HOT water, then use ammonia; the house hold version will do.
the HOT water breaks up the fouling. the ammonia will neutilize the acids from the fouling. rinse with HOT water this will cause the dampness to dry quickly. then follow with a oiled patch or two then your done. if you are to store the gun for awhile then next day run a few more oily patches down her.

Rusty.it

If it's a italian made, whith liner in touch hole you can take out the lock, unscrew the liner and then put a musket nipple instead the liner, put a rubber hose in the nipple and the other side in a water bucket, and thed do like in your caplock rifle!
The thread is a 8X1,25 in mm the same of italian repro enfield musket!
ciao
Rusty