Navy Arms Company imported Uberti Revolvers

I have found a 5 1/2" barreled revolver that is in about 95% condition. Fired very little...maybe a dozen times. It is stamped, "Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield, NJ Made in Italy" on top of the barrel with "S.A. Cal. 45 LC" on the side, and "A. Uberti--Italy" on the bottom of the barrel. On the frame it is stamped, "Pat. Sept. 19, 1871 July 2, 72 Jan. 19, 75" It has the bullseye button on the ejector rod. There are no stamps on the wooden grips.

What can ya'll tell me about this revolver?
Which model is this gun?
What is the reputation of this revolver?
What years did Navy Arms Co. important Uberti replicas?
In this condition, what would it be worth?

Thanks

Last edited:
Howdy

Navy Arms was and still is one of the chief importers of Uberti firearms.

Starting shortly after WWII Val Forgett Jr began a surplus arms business in Ridgefield NJ. He had won a contract from the government to clean out an old arsenal. He named his business Service Arms and cataloged all sorts of war surplus items, not just small arms but cannons and other more serious stuff.

In 1956 Val decided to get into the replica arms business. The 100th anniversary of the Civil War was approaching and Val felt there would be renewed interest in Civil War era firearms. He worked with several European arms makers, but mostly Aldo Uberti to make an accurate reproduction of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver. He named his new business Navy Arms after the new Colt Navy replica. Navy Arms operated out of the same Ridgefield address. When I was a kid in 1968 I borrowed my Dad's car to drive down to Ridgefield and buy my first C&B revolver. Navy Arms and Uberti continued their working relationship creating many replica firearms, both percussion and cartridge. It can easily be said that Val Forgett Jr was the father of the replica arms business.

Val died in 2002 and his son Val Forgett III took over the business, which is now located in Martinsburg WV. Today there are many importers of replica arms from Uberti, Pietta, and others, but Navy Arms was the first.

What you have sounds like a replica of the Colt Single Action Army, manufactured in Italy by Uberti and imported by Navy Arms. Since it has the NJ address stamped on it, it was probably made before the company moved to West Virginia. If memory serves me right, the company moved sometime after 2001. The patent dates you see on it are reproductions of the original Colt patent dates, your gun is not an antique. Uberti stamps that information on many of their revolvers. Look for this mark stamped onto the gun someplace. It is Uberti's trademark. It represents the muzzle of a Colt 1851 Navy revolver.

uberti_trademark.jpg

Guns made in Italy can often be dated by a date code stamped on them. You may be able to date your revolver with this table:

http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

Uberti makes good quality replicas, not exact replicas, they are often off a bit in small details, but none the less they are good quality. As long as it is in good shape, you should be able to fire regular 45 Colt ammo in that revolver. You do not need to restrict it to Cowboy loads, but you do need to stay below SAAMI Max pressures. I have owned several of these revolvers over the years. They are not Colts, but they are good quality. I still own one. Today they are often sold under the name Cattleman and other various product names. You can look them up at the Uberti website.

I am not going to speculate on its value, but a search of any of the gun auction sites looking for similar revolvers should give you an idea of its value.

DPris

Member Emeritus
DJ,
Val's pretty much let the Italian import business go, they haven't brought much in for quite a while.
He's started up with a Turnbulled Winchester '73, may be making an effort to revive Navy.

But, definitely hasn't been a major Uberti importer for some time.

Denis

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, Val Forgett provided Uberti with his own, like new, Model 1851 Navy to use as a pattern, but to reduce fakery had enough changes made that any reasonably knowledgeable person could tell the difference between an original and a repro. That has not always been successful, as fakes have been made from repros, but it has certainly reduced the scale of the fakery.

Jim

Underside of the Frame--- "BL" stamped

On the underside of the frame, just ahead of the trigger guard, are stamped the letters, "BL". Does that give any information about the gun?

Hawg

BL is the proof code for 1998.

Driftwood that's a pretty early 51 you have. Uberti hasn't made a brass 51 in .44 for years. They're more historically correct in their products now.

Hawg

BL is the date code for 1998. It is not a proof mark, it is a date code. Proof marks indicate which government run proof house the gun was proofed in.

I didn't say proof mark. I said proof code for the year it was proofed. It isn't exactly a manufacture date but rather the date it was proofed.

Driftwood that's a pretty early 51 you have. Uberti hasn't made a brass 51 in .44 for years. They're more historically correct in their products now.

Like I said, I bought it when I borrowed my Dad's car and drove down to the Navy Arms showroom in Ridgefield NJ in 1968. We lived about 20 miles from there. It was listed in the catalog as 'Army 60'. Yup, that's what it said. Cost $40 in 1968. Unfortunately nobody was telling us back then not to shoot heavy loads in a brass framed revolver. Too many 30 grain loads stretched the frame and now it's a wall hanger.