Navigating with pop top mittens.

Cascade1911

Bought a new pair of mittens for hunting, the kind where you can fold back the mit and thumb to expose the fingers for shooting. 5:00 am, very dark, trying to use my gps to find my hunting spot as I normally do (I scout before and during the season and add likely spots to my gps as waypoints so I can find them in the dark). My Garmin vista has me going in circles, great time for the gps to fail. I pull out my compass, north is behind me. Every way I turn, north is behind me. I realize there are magnets in the mittens to hold the flaps back. Nice feature but makes using any kind of compass impossible. Just a heads up.

cnimrod

I wonder ...

if the magnets would affect your GPS as well? thanks for the heads up I was taking a compass bearing today and realized taking it on the hood of the truck was not a good idea either.

Cascade1911

If the GPS has a electronic compass the magnets will affect it. It won't change the plotted position but will affect the displayed heading. Car GPS's use the difference in position to determine heading but hand held's have a hard time doing that unless you move in a relatively constant speed and direction so having a built in compass is very helpful.