Naval Jelly for dark bore?

Bruegger

Anyone know: can you use "naval jelly" rust remover to remove corrosion in a really nasty bore or would it eat the rifling, too? Obviously I'm not talking about a normal cleaning routine for a good rifle.

Danny45

Bruegger, I don't think I'd use it. I've used it to clean up chrome wheels and other things before and you have to be careful. It eats about anything seems like.

------------------
"Charlton Heston is my President"

Danny45
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

Bruegger

Thanks. I was really hesitant to try something this extreme, but I hate the idea of leaving any rust/corrosion in the barrel.

Target Shooter

JB Bore cleaner works great but it's not going to turn your dark bore nice and bright.
It's a very mild abrasive that removes powder fouling very easily and with some elbow grease it will remove the copper fouling also.
I've tried JB on my M1 Carbine that has a pitted dark bore. It didn't do anything other than turn the patch black.
I think the Naval Jelly has a mild acid in it. This may do more damage than good.

TS

Hal

Naval Jelly is an acid, I believe it's hydorchloric acid, but I'm not positive. The ingrediants on the label will tell you. It will certainly clean the barrel, but it will also etch the barrel and any other metal parts it contacts, such as the chamber etc. I't also going to remove any bluing, and leave the whole thing open to rust if you aren't real, real , real careful. I tried this route(Naval Jelly) on a reproduction Colt Police model .36 cal percussion pistol and ended up with even a bigger pile of junk than I began with. The Colt is defintly a wall hanger now, so I wasn't too concerned about the loss as a shooter.

There was another poster, Mad Dog , that posted of his experiences with the bore from he!!. I'll try to search for the threads.

Here's the links.
www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001955.html
www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/002023.html
www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/002150.html

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited October 13, 2000).]

Naval Jelly is a BAD idea. Way too agressive.

Try J-B Bore cleaner, as someone mentioned.

You can also try, and don't laugh....

Coke or Pepsi.

They have phosphoric acid in them, which is a pretty effective rust remover. It's in pretty light concentrations, though, so it won't be as agressive (or fast), but at least you won't do any more damage to your bore.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!

Bruegger

Darn good ideas. Thanks much. I'd totally forgotten about Coke/Pepsi acid on metal. I knew a guy once who had some poured on his car hood. Ouch.