Nature vs Nurture

lizziedog1

How much of ones shooting ability do you think is in-born versus learned? Do you think that there are folks that are naturally born shooters, or do you think that anyone could become good enough to compete with the best?

I think it is a sixyt-forty mix. Sixty percent of shooting ability is inborn while the balance is learned. I think with practice anyone can learn to shoot well to a point. But in my opinion, there reaches a certain level of expertise that not just anyone can attain.

How would you split it?

scorpion_tyr

I would have to say that I believe only 10% (if even that) are natural shooters. But to be fair there is such a vast difference in what kind of shooting and with what kind of gun that many people who might shoot skeet really well might not be able to even hit the target their first time shooting a handgun.

ZeroJunk

Some people can remain steady better than others for physiological reasons. My father shook all his life to the point he would rattle a newspaper or glass of ice water.

But, other than something like that I think it is as much practice and good technique as anything else.

Perhaps good technique comes natural to you, same as some have a natural golf swing that works well.

longhair75

I'm not sure.

I know this is only anecdotal, but my wife had never touched a gun until we met. The first time out, she listened carefully, then tried out a .22lr pistol. A couple of hundred rounds later, she is hitting almost everything she aims at. The next trip out, she is always on the paper, and three or four trips in everything is in the black. She did not like the recoil of a .357, but the minute she tried the Browning High Power 9mm, she had found her weapon.

I once won a hundred bucks when she hit a US quarter with it from fifty feet.

She thinks it might be due to learning from right handed people. As a lefty, she always had to really think a new procedure through to translate it into something she was comfortable with. She says that this leads to more concentration on what she is trying to learn

I think in her case it was fifty percent concentration, twenty five percent natural ability and twenty five percent great eye hand coordination.

spclPatrolGroup

I think some people generally have better hand eye coordination that helps them natrually be a better shooter. My brother who has played baseball all his life is a much better shot at me, I tihnk part of it may be that he has to use his skills all the time at the plate.

chris in va

From what I've seen, women are naturally better 'shots' than men when beginners. They take their time and aren't trying to impress anyone, ending up with a bullseye.

22-rimfire

I believe it is much like football; almost everyone can play football, but only a few have the ability to play and stay in the NFL. I believe the most important things are eye sight, a gun that fits you physically, coordination, strength, concentration, and a desire to shoot well. Other than these items, almost anyone can learn to shoot moderately well if they practice, but only a few will be able to move to the level of folks like Jerry M. no matter how much they practice.

TeamSinglestack

Shooting is a learned behavior.

What separates the "freaks" from the rest of us is motivation, opportunity to train, and individual physical attributes.

IMO, motivation and the opportunity to train are the two biggest factors that determine individual proficiency in any endeavor.

FrankenMauser

I don't think people are born with much "inherent shooting ability". The only thing that may come close, has been brought up in this thread, already: hand-eye coordination.

Over the years, I have noticed far more skilled shooters that work with their hands, or are athletes of some kind, than people that have office jobs or do nothing skilled with their free time (just watch TV, read books, etc.).

Some of the most skilled, non-professional shooters I have seen were guys that had jobs involving some of the same skills:
1. A highly involved job that required contorting the person's arms, legs, head and neck, and hands in countless odd positions for close-up work; but also included tasks that required the same coordination and dexterity at short distances (threading long sections of pipe through a hanger bracket, while on a swaying lift, 40 feet in the air; controlling a 30 foot, crane-supported rotor blade 20 feet in the air, with only inches of clearance on either end; etc.). (large Helicopter mechanics, certain construction trades, industrial mechanics, etc.)
2. Or, a highly precise job (like small parts manufacturing), that requires excellent dexterity and hand-eye coordination; but also includes the need to move large (and often heavy) objects with precision.

However, no matter how good the body is, the mind has to be on board. If the person can't learn to harness those skills for shooting, it does not good (attitude seems to be a big part of the learning process).

SIGSHR

As with so many things, it depends on the individual. I joke that I inherited my shooting ability from a Great-Great Grandmother (maternal side) who had the reputation of being a good shot. (No it was not Annie Oakley) I think women are somewhat easier to teach to shoot because of the absence of male ego and thinking they "know it all", i.e. from Basic Training years ago and watching lots of of cop and cowboy movies and TV programs.

Tikirocker

Anybody can learn to be a top shot ... it is a skill certainly, but it follows a set of identifiable principles that any person can become proficient in, with dedication.

Tiki.

oneounceload

There are certain folks who have, IMO, an in-born talent comprised of the right eyesight, or hand-eye coordination that separates them from those who have had extensive training and acquired the skill. I know some great shooters, one thing they all have is incredible eyesight and depth perception

B. Lahey

I know if you buy a kid a crappy BB gun and a few of those giant milk-cartons of BBs, they will nurture themselves into being pretty decent shots. And the crappy trigger on that crappy BB gun will teach them to be able to shoot just about anything on the planet without too much complaining.

That's how it worked for me, anyway. Thanks, Grampa.:)

MrBorland

there reaches a certain level of expertise that not just anyone can attain.

May be true, but in most endeavors, that level is far beyond what we typically achieve, which isn't limited by talent, but set when our true desires and priorities find balance.

roy reali

Mix

I think that most people with enough training and practice can become great shooters. But there is a level in which I believe there has to be some inborn skills. Anyone can learn to draw, but DaVinci's are born, not made. I could take art lessons till the cows come home and a "Mona Lisa" will not be created by me.

The brain is a very, very complex organ. There are millions and millions of connections and millions and millions of interactions between all the parts. No one can tell me that some people don't have an extra neuron here or there that gives them a one-up on certain talents.

I have a friend that after hearing a tune once or twice can replicate it on a piano. I can heat a tune a zillion times, I will be barely able to hum more then a few bars of it. He has never taken music lessons and can't read notes. His brain must have some sort of connection that others do not.

I suppose shooting might be the same.

Mr'Borland

May be true, but in most endeavors, that level is far beyond what we typically achieve, which isn't limited by talent, but set when our true desires and priorities find balance.

I could desire to be multi-million dollar, major league pitcher all I want, I know I don't have the skills to reach that level.

Tikirocker

Shooting is a different ball game to creative arts ... shooting is a sport for a reason rather than a subset of the Arts. The only thing required in shooting is the ability to hold a shot, follow through, breath correctly and be able to clearly see or define the target. You don't need additional neurons to make you better at that than the next bloke - this is monkey business. The difference between great shots and average shots is largely a mechanical one ... yes there is some mental in there too but application of the principles x time can make any man the = of another in shooting ... not so Art.

Some people take to the principles inherent to shooting faster or more naturally than others - but high quality shooting is a learn-able skill achievable by any human being. What is missing with many people is the dedication and mental application.

P.S I am a professional musician and I have never had a lesson, nor can I read a note of music and I too can hear a tune and play it by ear. All that's about is knowing your instrument ... the same goes for shooting.

Tiki.

My brother and I are two years apart (I'm older). We are close enough that in most things, whatever I started at age X, l'il bro' started at age (X-2). Our grandfather taught us both to shoot when we visited the grandparents on summer vacation.

I was always pretty good. My brother was always ... fair to middlin'. Fast forward several decades, and I remain pretty good to maybe a little better than "pretty good," whether I practice a lot or a little ... and my brother can't hit the side of a barn from inside the hayloft.

We both had exactly the same training and the same experience, over the course of probably ten years or more. IMHO it isn't the training that makes the difference.

Tikirocker

Aguila ...

Even professional athletes lose form and forget the mechanics of performing their activities at a high standard. You even see it with top shooters ... many will go through periods of form slump. It is all to do with body mechanics and the mental game. I promise you, if you had a coach, he could sort you and your brother out by analyzing what you are doing wrong and where you are going wrong. As we get older many things change in the body ... including our eye sight. It's not the training that is at fault ... it's you.

Tiki.

MrBorland

Quote:

I could desire to be multi-million dollar, major league pitcher all I want, I know I don't have the skills to reach that level.

You're confusing fantasy and realization: Fantasy is based on abilities that you don't and can't possess. I may want to race in the Tour de France (I did), but if I wasn't born with an engine that's big enough, it ain't gonna happen, no matter how much I train. Nonetheless, most can become a far better pitcher, bike racer or shooter than they realize.

ZeroJunk

I don't know about this comparison with athletes. Since when did you need to throw a ball fast, jump high, run fast, or weigh a lot to shoot a gun well.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you are 5' 6'' and weigh 150 you are not going far in most sports. But, you could be the best shooter out there.