National Firearms Registration??

WyldOne

It's my understanding that people (except maybe in a few states?) don't have to register their guns (which makes cop shows on tv really confusing for me).

Yet I just read on the internet about someone who was charged with, among other things:

POSSESSION OF A FIREARM WHICH IS NOT REGISTERED TO HIM IN THE NATIONAL FIREARMS REGISTRATION AND TRANSFER RECORD.

What is that???

FPrice

It sounds like either a machine gun, a shotgun with a barrel less than 18", or a silencer. IIRC, these are the three types of weapons (counting the silencer as a "weapon") which must be registered under the NFA (National Firearms Act?).

Hemicuda

Maybe it was a NFA weapon, requiring a NATIONAL tax stamp and registration??? like a supressed or full auto weapon?

NFA registration is a national firearms registration program for those "controlled weapons"...

Kharn

NFA weapons (short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, machine guns, AOWs, silencers and destructive devices, ie bombs) are not actually "registered", technically. The ATF simply retains a record of the tax having been paid on the weapon, the owner gets a nice piece of paper with a $200 postage stamp on it. :rolleyes:

Kharn

WyldOne

holy moly.

I accidentally left off the first part of the thing, 26 U.S.C. 5861(d): (In case that changes anyone's answer?)

Thanks guys. :)

FPrice

Kharn...

"NFA weapons (short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, machine guns, AOWs, silencers and destructive devices, ie bombs) are not actually "registered", technically."

If the government has a list which they maintain which shows who owns what, then they are registered, technically or not.

dZ

for "ordinary" arms what i have been able to figure out is:

The manufacturer sends a list of serial numbers that are transfered to a wholesaler to the BATF

The Wholesaler provides a list of serial numbers that are transfered to dealers to the BATF

The first purchaser fills out a 4473 form
and the Brady call is made to approve the purchase of any gun

the 4473 is then inventoried at the retailers shop, until the shop goes out of business.

if gun XXX1372 is discovered in nefarious activity
the police can call in a search that will lead to the retailer

At the retailer, the paper forms are pawed through to discover the first purchasers info.

braindead0

The funny thing is that Title 26 5841 says:
(a) Central registry
The Secretary shall maintain a central registry of all firearms
in the United States which are not in the possession or under the
control of the United States. This registry shall be known as the
National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. The registry
shall include -
...blah blah

This tends to lead people to assume Firearms means what normal people think it means... until you get down to 5845 were it defines Firearm as:
(a) Firearm
The term ''firearm'' means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or
barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a
shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less
than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in
length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16
inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as
modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel
or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon,
as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer
(as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
(8) a destructive device. The term ''firearm'' shall not include
an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or
destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the
Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value,
design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item
and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

The moral of the story is, everything the politicos do is designed to confuse the situation :D

Baba Louie

A question on the 4473 form. Didn't the ATF (in one of their constant revisions) add a clause that says something to the effect that it is now illegal to sell said firearm at a profit...blah, blah, blah. What would be the penalty/punishment if one were to commit such a nefarious act?

I haven't bought a firearm in quite some time (been collecting knives, ammo and more bills) and was curious if that clause is still to be found (was it ever?).

This is a small point of discussion among a couple of us at work and would appreciate any reliable response.

Adios