Name That Pistol

As posted in a thread I generated in the Art of Rifle, I found some fairly odd firearms in Afghanistan. Here's an Enfield that I dont' know anything about. Anybody have some input?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I doubt that that had anything to do with Enfield or Britain. About the only thing that is probably correct is the date of manufacture.

It's a Khyber pistol. Even back then the Afghanis, Pakistanis, and Indians were doing a booming trade in manufacturing knockoff rifles and handguns marked with British markings.

Here's a discussion on another one that was found:

http://thedonovan.com/archives/2007/10/khyber_rifles_a.html

sgms

I may well be wrong but I suspect you have a fine example of an Afghan home work shop special. The basic pistol work looks to unrefined for english work of the time frame and there really is a lack of proof marks. I would expect to see proofs on each of the barrels and more on the lock area than is shown in the picture. But no matter if it is real or not it is a very interesting and collectable pistol just because of its story.

jrothWA

Looks to be a variation or..

British licensed copy of a Hopkins & Allen pepperbox.

Manual indexed revolver prior to the Colt percussion that indexed by earing back the hammer.

PetahW

That Pepperbox pistol looks like it's a copy of an Allen & Thurber or a Thomas Turner (Reading) 19th Century original.

Fellas, I think Mike and sgms has figured out the case. It just seemed odd to have so many readily available firearms such as these in a place like I was/will.

But no matter if it is real or not it is a very interesting and collectable pistol just because of its story.

Not collectable for me. The red tape involved isn't worth my time to get it home.