Name That Gun! (Death Wish 3)

GunXpatriot

So normally, I wouldn't dare make a thread like this, however, when I watch action movies, every now and then, I'll check out imfdb (Internet Movie Firearm Database) if something catches my eye.

There were some cool guns in this movie TBH, especially that .475 Wildey Magnum pistol that Charles Bronson's character Paul Kersey uses. It was so ridiculous, I had to make sure it was a real thing...

Anyway, I noticed one particular gun used, but I really have no idea what it could be.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/a2/DW4unk8.JPG

The only thing that came to mind, was a Colt Woodsman, however, from what I see, the barrel on the woodsman seems closer to the triggerguard/position of the hand. The gun in the picture doesn't look like that. I feel like it's some little .22 short pistol or something, and honestly, if it were a woodsman, I feel like someone would have identified it. I've seen people identify very strange things on IMFDB, so...

Anyone know what that thing could be?

Winchester_73

I own enough Woodsmans to say that is definitely NOT any woodsman. If you look at the pic, it appears as though there is a cylinder. There is too much height between the trigger guard and top of the gun, which represents a revolver (cylinder window) most likely, rather than a Woodsman or Hi Standard, or any of the like. Woodsmans are sleek, and it would look IMO closer to the axis of his arm, since the slide and frame height is on the shorter side, above the trigger guard.

In such movies, which are low budget, sometimes the gun is a blank gun, a movie prop, etc and not a real gun, and not even intended to look like one, but more so intended to represent one in the movie plot. It could be a top break, a blank or starter pistol, a movie prop gun, etc. Its anyone's guess.

44 AMP

Staff
It was the movie that was ridiculous...

Not the Wildey.

yes, its a real gun (I have one in .45 Win Mag), and its a nice gun, for what it is. What it isn't, is a combat handgun. Although it is a double action autoloader (and I have no idea why), the Wildey also uses a heel type magazine catch, and its overall size, weight, and recoil of full power ammo put it beyond the class of fighting handgun, for anyone who isn't concerned with how impressive it looks on film.

The whole movie was ridiculous, full of BS, and looking at it from the lens of today, rather poorly done. There are so many things just wrong in that movie, its difficult to list them all, but a couple that stood out to me are, Kersey getting his Widley, and the loading tools and supplies through the mail. The old neighbor keeping a couple of functional belt fed machineguns and ammo in a hall cupboard. The whole street gang shootout...etc...and that's not even touching on the acting...

The blurry outline of the pistol in the pic could be a lot of things, including, as mentioned, just a movie prop. My guess would be a Webley, or similar shaped revolver, not a Woodsman, the proportions are wrong for that.

Paul B.

My best guess would be one of the early S&W, H&R or Iver Johnson top break revolvers in .32 or 38 S&W. (not .38 Spl.) I may have missed a bunch of the lesser known guns sold in hardware stores that carried the name Saturday Night Special. Guess they'd be etter than a handful of rocks but the Iver Johnson hammerless I shot wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn if I was inside. At least I think it was an I J. Might have been a Harrigton Richardson. That was 55 years ago. I do remember that it was a .38 S&W. :rolleyes:
Paul B.