Name one thing you froze at your last match

WESHOOT2

I froze my brain. Apparently I was not alone.

Our club, Green Mountain Practical Shooters, held its monthly match Sunday 1/15/12.
It was -2F.
35 showed up for the 140-rd, five-stage match.
It was cold. And very windy through the morning, enough to blow over steel.
One shooter who came from out of state to compete could not believe we'd set up a Classifier in those conditions.

We score with Palm Pilots, and another squad accidentally reset their Palm after their third stage, zeroing out ALL three stages they'd shot.
On our last stage my RO gave me the "Make Ready" command while three folks were still downrange pasting targets.
I didn't, and we got that cleared up.
After my last shot of my last stage of my shot-clean match (woo-hoo!) I was given the "Unload and show BANG!" command. I shot the wall 2ft in front of me for a DQ. I've competed since 1995 and have attended hundreds of matches. I still made that HUGE mistake.

The cold can do that.

www.gmpsvt.com

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Fatigue can do that and cold wears you out fast. Ask me how I know. Did you know that if you shoot the left leg out from under your target and it falls over that is not sufficient grounds for an alibi. :D

Been dere dun dat.

Jeff22

If it's really cold out, and your match is outdoors, you have to run quick stages that cycle fast.

140 rnds and 5 stages when it's bitter cold? That's crazy.

How about 5 stages and 60-90 rounds?

Extremes of heat and cold present some dangers, and fatigue from extremes of temperature (being hot & dehydrated or being cold & frosted) can create safety issues, even with experienced gun handlers.

Glenn E. Meyer

Come to TX for a 110 deg. match - come on down. Lose so much fluid that you cramp up on the drive home. Learned that lesson.

Used to ski in that kind of cold - now I sweat. Will I ever learn?

Don P

Come to TX for a 110 deg. match - come on down. Lose so much fluid that you cramp up on the drive home. Learned that lesson.

I'll second that! I did it once and learned the hard way. Steering the car was pure unadulterated hell using the forearms. hands wouldn't open:eek:

The only thing I freeze now for a match is the ice in the gallon jug of fluids for the match. In mid summer I bring a 2 1/2 gallon cooler to the match. Usually goes home empty:D