Nagant revolver, cylinder question

Buzzcook

I saw a Nagant in a pawn shop today. It was very nice compared to how I imagined an old Russian surplus pistol would look.

The one I saw was different than those I've seen on the net. It had a smooth cylinder, no fluting.
The cylinder also looked pretty new compared to the rest of the gun.

Would this be a .32acp replacement cylinder?

Wildalaska

That is, in fact, an 32acp cylinder. As such, IMHO, the gun isn't worth buying.

Best ones right now are at Inter Ordnance, they do not have a hideous import mark.

Totally fun guns, I have 7

WildmydirtylittlesecretAlaska TM

Billy Sparks

The big question is where to get ammo for one. You know so I can go to the range and fire mine. While yelling "Take that you czarist swine", in full Wildalaska style.

Tom2

I am intrigued by their 19th century revolver appearance, and the exotic features but when I look closely, they usually have the appearance of a hand made piece cut with coarse files. Maybe I am missing ones of a certain vintage that are better but so far I have not broken down yet, despite the appealing prices. Maybe it is the ammo. Available but presumably not reloadable or inexpensive. Where is all the cheap surplus Russian ammo for them like for the other east bloc stuff?

Buzzcook

So does the replacement cylinder need moon clips?

I had heard of using .32 long in the original cylinder. Reloading using .32 brass as well. Not something I want to invest the time in right now.

Kinda neat how the cylinder cycled forward as it cycles.

The shop also had a .38 Webley tanker's revolver. Unfortunately someone had done some butchery to it. Great condition as a shooter but nil collectible value unless you wanted to spend big bucks on restoration.

The worst part of looking for a gun is not being able to buy the ones that aren't what you're looking for too.

Wildalaska

I am intrigued by their 19th century revolver appearance, and the exotic features but when I look closely, they usually have the appearance of a hand made piece cut with coarse files.

They are crudely made vis a vis a Colt or S&W of the same vintage, plus they fire a totally anemic cartridge more suited for back of the head shots than battle...witness Nagant rounds bouncing off of the Grand Duchess Anastasias bodice.

On the other hand, they are so retro, and "bullet proof" that they are the height of obscure coolness, especially with their overly expensive anemic rounds.

Luck for me, My bud is the Fiochi rep so I am well stocked.

WildpogunAlaska ™