Nagant Revolver Bad Accuracy claims are not fair.

deerslayer303

Hey guys hope you all are having a good week and I want to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

I was watching youtube vids and I simply think the Old ugly Nagant gets a bad rap from that SLOW PPU ammo. At the range yesterday I compared PPU and Surplus. My Tula Nagant shot the PPU VERY HIGH. I had the aim at the bottom of the steel plate rack to knock over the 6 inch plates. With the Surplus (which is a very noticeably hotter round) she shot POA. Somehow I thought it would be the other way around, I don't know. So would it be safe to say these pistols like a Higher velocity slightly heavier bullet? I know PPU and Fiocchi loads them tame for liability. I would like to hear from some who have maybe experienced this or have played with different velocities out of their reloads.

Edit: Those plates on the plate rack are probably bigger than 6" maybe 8". I haven't measured them. Its is the big plate rack you see at pistol ranges where you pull the strap to reset them. I'm going to group this thing from a rest and see what happens.

Last edited:

carguychris

deerslayer303 said:
My Tula Nagant shot the PPU VERY HIGH. I had the aim at the bottom of the steel plate rack to knock over the 6 inch plates. With the Surplus (which is a very noticeably hotter round) she shot POA. Somehow I thought it would be the other way around, I don't know.
The muzzle of a handgun will always rise before the bullet leaves the barrel. A heavier bullet causes more recoil and thus more pronounced muzzle rise, while a slower bullet dwells in the barrel longer. Hence, a slower or heavier bullet will generally hit higher on the target, at least at short range (inside 25yds).

This can be counterintuitive for people accustomed to shooting rifles, as it's the opposite of the general rule of thumb for a rifle bullet. Muzzle rise is less of a factor with rifles because the bullet typically leaves the barrel much faster, and the bore axis is usually much closer to the center of gravity of the arm, making muzzle rise less pronounced.

Last edited:

kraigwy

the Nagant is a lot of fun to shoot. Fun gun is about it, not what you call a target pistol. Not enough power for hunting or knocking over steel, but a heck of a lot of fun.

I've tried factory, and I handload. I found increasing the velocity over factory loads decrease accuracy. You're not going to make a magnum or a target pistol out of one.

I shot this group at 15 yards. Nothing to write home about. I don't think you'll get much of an advantage by increasing the velocity. At least I didn't with my gun.

7%20rds_%20factory.JPG

Its still a heck of a lot of fun to play with.

tallball

Mine is reasonably accurate, about average for a service type revolver. Single action I can at least hit the paper every time at 25 yards. It has the worst double action trigger I have ever felt. 32 S&W long seems more accurate in mine than the original caliber. It might just be the lack of recoil.

chiefr

I have fired them with milsurp, PPU, and reloads. Groups are satisfactory, but not great. Yes, they shoots high.