Nagant Questions

B. Lahey

I've been thinking about picking one of these up as they are one of the few guns within my budget range right now, but I have a few questions...

If you get the .32ACP conversion cylinder, do you need moonclips or is the tiny nub of a rim on the .32ACP case enough to hold the round in the right place?

I've seen some 7.62 Nagant ammunition out there, but how does the 7.62 Nagant compare to the .32ACP? Any info on relative bullet weights, velocities, energy, ect... would be great. I am totally unfamiliar with the 7.62N round, but have some experience with the .32ACP.

Who has the best price on Nagants right now? Are there any particularly desirable models or are they all pretty much the same?

Any and all info you may have regarding these fun-looking wheelguns will be welcome.

lechiffre

i think the conversion cylinder costs more than the gun. it does not need moon-clips,empties have to be punched out one at a time through a loading gate like a colt saa.

B. Lahey

I've seen the cylinder for around $50 and I like to shoot my guns quite a bit, so it may be worth it in ammo costs. But I heard the accuracy of .32ACP in the Nagant leaves a lot to be desired. That's probably the biggest downside from what I have been able to find out so far.

Anyone know if all the cheap Nagants out there right now are DA/SA, or are there some of the SAO models mixed in? I guess they made them as late as 1947.

Darren007

Anyone know if all the cheap Nagants out there right now are DA/SA, or are there some of the SAO models mixed in? I guess they made them as late as 1947.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that 99.8% of the ones youre going to find are DA. They made SA Nagants in the late 19th, early 20th century, but theyre pretty rare IMO. I've been collecting these pistols for a few years now and have only seen one in person.

As for the conversion cylinder. I wouldnt bother. I have heard more bad than good about them and some have even said they can be dangerous. If you really want to shoot it, just load it up with .32 SW long and have at it. Accuracy isnt that bad. However, just to throw it out there, while I have fired .32 SW Long in a few of mine with no problems, others warn against the practice. Youre only other options is to get a hold of some Nagant ammo.

TNFrank

The original Nagant gas seal round(7.62x38r) pushed a 108gr bullet at around 1100 fps so it was pretty hot for it's time. You can use 32/20win brass if you mod the revolver a bit(google it for more info) and Lee makes dies to resize the 32/20win brass to work.
One thing that'll be great for Nagant shooters is that Starline Brass is coming out with proper brass for the pistol. Dies will still be high priced since they're semi-custom from RCBS or the like. As soon as Lee gets on board and makes some proper Nagant dies for a reasonable price then this good old revolver will be easy to reload for and shoot.
Personally, I'd buy a few of em' and put back, they're bound to go up in price as supplies dry up and when brass and dies come out they'll be a blast to play with.

Stainz

First, get thee to yon gunboards.com 1895 Nagant-specific subforum and sin no more! There, you will learn that different importers impart their 'brand' on different parts of the fine little freak. Also, some still supply a good holster, lanyard, reversible screwdriver, and cleaning rod - for <$100. If you, as I do, have a Curio & Relix FFL, it can be delivered to your door! Also, you will find that Starline did make slightly short (It wouldn't bridge the gap or gas seal.) brass, but quit, as it would tear, like the appropriate brass (Fiocchi & Bertram) does. Also, due to the hand-made character of the Nagants, parts are serialized to the guns - aftermarket cylinders must be fitted. Buy one as I did for my three Nagants - with a refund promised if, as mine, it wouldn't fit! Also, you will find that a 10 ld SA trigger is a dream, while a 20 lb DA pull is the mark of a finely tweaked Nagant. Your trigger finger will become stronger.

Ammo... buy the Russian target stuff, if you can find it - or the reasonably recent entry, the Serbian 'Hot Shot' 1895 Nagant (7.62x38r) ammo. Fiocchi did make ammo similar to that 'Hot Shot', but more expensive. Both are reloadable - sort of. The thin case mouth bridges the gap, opening inside the convex forcing cone's mouth, and must be pushed back through the smaller cylinder exit bore with the Nagant's SA-style ejector rod, making reloading 'slow'. That thin mouth often splits during reloading. You can forgo that by making ammo from modified .32-20 cases, as I do. The tapered proper round is close to an M1 Carbine's taper - so I size with such a carbide unit. I reload standard 100gr LDEWC .313" with .32 seater (special plug) and crimper. In use, the lead shaves/spits slightly as the case doesn't bridge the gap, but the stout brass falls out. I get ~800fps - and loads-o-fun. Straight walled ammo, .32 S&WL & .32 H&RM, will cant in the larger chamber opening, causing shaving/spitting and the cases will bulge and can split. I won't use that type of ammo. That screwdriver that came with the Nagants will completely dissect them.

These things are great - and affordable - pieces of Victorian-era engineering - the Belgian brothers Nagant were quite inovative. Many are in still in VG++ to Exc condition.

Stainz

rocinante

I keep trying to talk myself into getting one of those funky revolvers why I do not know. Cool? classicarms.us has them AND the 32 cylinders which are hard to come by. I am more tempted just to buy the cylinders because I am sure they will appreciate.

THIS MAY BE THE NICEST BATCH EVER- COMPLETE WITH LANYARD, AND SITE TOOL
C & R ELIGIBLE $89.95 3 OR MORE $79.95

****WE JUST GOT IN A SMAL BATCH OF .32 ACP CALIBER CYLINDERS FOR THE NAGANT REVOLVERS. THEY ARE BRAND NEW, CHANGE OUT EASILY, AND LOOK AND WORK GREAT. UNFORTUANTELY, THEY ARE QUITE EXPENSIVE AS COMPARED TO THE PRICE OF THE REVOLVER ITSELF. ON THE OTHER HAND, THEY WORK GREAT AND ALLOW YOU TO USE THE PLENTIFUL AND INEXPENSIVE .32 ACP AMMO. IN STOCK NOW... $57.50

cannonballmount

I don't own one, but I read the Nagant was NOT a .32 but a .29. .32 bullets can run the pressure way up. Second, the Nagant moves the cylinder forward each shot, to contact the base of the barrel, and requires a sturdy, proper sized base on the brass. The ammo is available now, and so are the dies and bullets, for purchase and/or reloading. Why mess with dangerous substitutes?

A dangerous weapon that. It was a Nagant used to assassinate the Archduke Ferdinand that started World War One. But I guess you knew that. Anyway, it makes it a very historic gun.

Its a very light handy revolver though. Rather like the old S&W .32 kit gun, very practical. The Nagant sights are supposed to be difficult, and the trigger a bit stiff, so be prepared to practice.

If you decide to reload, best read up on that particular round. The bullet, I understand, is seated all the way inside the brass, on account it seals the cylinder/barrel gap with the leading edge of the case, each shot.

Last edited:

Darren007

I don't own one, but I read the Nagant was NOT a .32 but a .29. .32 bullets can run the pressure way up. Second, the Nagant moves the cylinder forward each shot, to contact the base of the barrel, and requires a sturdy, proper sized base on the brass. The ammo is available now, and so are the dies and bullets, for purchase and/or reloading. Why mess with dangerous substitutes?

Uhhh...Noooo...the Nagant is a .32 caliber gun.

Yes the proper brass does act like a gas seal when fired. However, if .32 SW long is used then its just like shooting any other revolver, where a small amount of gas will ecscape out between the cylinder and forcing cone.

A dangerous weapon that. It was a Nagant used to assassinate the Archduke Ferdinand that started World War One. But I guess you knew that. Anyway, it makes it a very historic gun.

Nope. The gun that killed him was a .32 Browning automatic (some say it was a .380). Its in a Museum.

Last edited:

Wildalaska

I don't own one, but I read the Nagant was NOT a .32 but a .29. .32 bullets can run the pressure way up.

You read wrong

Nope. wrong gun.

WildihavesevenofthemrememberAlaska TM

Tom2

I have not gotten one yet myself. They all look to me like something that was filed out of chunks of iron in a vise by cottage gunmakers. But that might be due to heavy use and one or more refurbs? And the ammo issue. I suppose it is a collectable item but in it's case, I think you get what you pay for. Frankly I think you would do better to put the money towards something like an H&R .32 or .22 revolver if you just wanted a shooter that is economical. But those don't have any historical interest, of course. I can't see how anyone could go for the MN revolver and say bad things about say, an SKS rifle or MN rifle.

Boris Bush

Wildalaska

I just bought one from my drug oops I mean gun dealer and he just got it 3 days ago and the ammo is another 2 weeks out. I did see the 32 s&w long and waited to come here and ask if it was ok to go ahead and do it. BUT I knew that you are the man when it comes to them and wanted to ask you first if it is ok. Should I go for it?

Wildalaska

I can't see how anyone could go for the MN revolver and say bad things about say, an SKS rifle or MN rifle.

The SKS is a child of the 50s, just a cheapo banger for the third worlders and combloc arsenals.

The Nagant revolver, along with pre 45 MNs, are history. Any of them could have been used in a battle, or to bump off someone important...

They all look to me like something that was filed out of chunks of iron in a vise by cottage gunmakers.

Crude? Absolutely...like the MN, T34, and the AK....and totally bullet proof. Take one apart sometime (stripping em is a breeze) and note the large parts and enormous spring...then strip out a contemporary like a S&W Schofield of an SAA and tell me which one will fail first (hint...it isnt a Nagant)... They were the Glocks of their time.

The trouble, is of course, the anemic cartridge...but thats a turn of the century Euro thing, ja?

Collectable too...each one is stamped with a year and all sorts of cool little marks and such. Good shooters too. You can reload for them but its not for the faint of heart.

WildzdrastvutyetovarishAlaska TM

Wildalaska

I just bought one from my drug oops I mean gun dealer and he just got it 3 days ago and the ammo is another 2 weeks out. I did see the 32 s&w long and waited to come here and ask if it was ok to go ahead and do it. BUT I knew that you are the man when it comes to them and wanted to ask you first if it is ok. Should I go for it?

Go for it. Use light lead loads. You may split some cases. Note Stainz comments above, it may behoove you to consider the spitting...you can aleviate that with Scotch tape if the round wiggles. Make sure you clean it up real well..

I reload the Fiochhi brass myself. Pain in the a** but gives me good ammo. I did a thread here on it.

What year do you have?

WildsovietskisoyuzAlaska TM

Boris Bush

I got a 1941 Tula. The bore is in excelent shape. I always wanted one but I do not like to order guns without seeing one first. He had it in stock and it was cheap. I will stop by the ammo store tomorow and get some.

I also read that 32 H&R mag can be shot from it and matches the original specs of the ball ammo used in them. should I give them a try also?

Wildalaska

Some folks report that they use .32 mag...I have shot it once and had to beat it out of the cylinder so I wont do it again....

WildshootitandreportAlaska TM

Boris Bush

Wildalaska

I found some Blackhills 32 H&R mag in a 90 grain flat point cowboy load at 750 fps. It was the same price as 32 S&W long and loaded to the same spec at the same price. I will give a report after I shoot it. I also got a box of S&B 100 grain wadcutters in 32 S&W.