Naa Mini ?

FLA2760

Hi
My wife informed me that she will start using her CCW; up to now she has not carried because the various guns I have had her try including my Kel Tec P32 have been too heavy according to her!:rolleyes: I have a NAA .22mag with the 1 5/8 barrel but I am thinking it might be too hard for her to control. Do any of you have any experience with the NAA .17 models? Are they easier to shoot than the .22mag? I am thinking that this is better than no gun. Should I get the .17 or a .22lr in the shorter barrel? She complained that the 1 5/8 barrel is too long. She seems interested in the Stellar Neck Chain holster as a carry method. I am at the end of my rope here! Thanks for your input. Here is a link to steller http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html

DPris

Member Emeritus
The .22 Mag in that short barrel is not easy to fire rapidly or effectively, and that's a function of recoil and the regular grips. The bigger grips like the Black Widow & so on are much more practical. Going to a shorter barrel really reduces terminal effectiveness.
The .17 models have extremely light recoil, but also an extremely light projectile that really isn't much good for self defense.
Yes, there's the argument that any gun is better than no gun, but...
I carried an NAA .22 LR shorty in uniform for several years, it was a total last ditch proposition.
Good luck. It looks like your wife may be (respectfully speaking) more interested in the idea of the gun than either the practicality or the realism of what carrying a viable defensive tool sometimes has to be.
Denis

bjmanersr

I have the 22 mag in my pocket as we speek(yah)

It has been in my pocket for more years than i care to remember and it is a good gun when you dont have your primary carry peace on you;but it is a last ditch weapon and i do not reccomend it as a primary carry weapon.If she wants light get her a glock 26 or 27 and make shure she understands that she HAS to learn to respect the trigger!

claude783

With the short barrel, your not using the potential of the 22 mag. I have a naa in 22 l.r. The wife also has one, it is one gun that she doesn't mind carrying when we are camping in the desert.

Since your not getting any significant gain with the 22 mag, just opt for the 22 l.r. If you feel a little more flash/bang is needed then load it with stingers...another waste of ammo for this little gun.

Best loaded with 40 gr. solids...get some penetration, also learn to shoot it low, very, very low....why bite like a fly when you can sting like a bee!

A 22. through the femor artery will drop a person...not as fast as the 357 through the brain pan, but it will drop them...also most of all having "something" beats having "nothing" every time!

smince

A 22. through the femor artery will drop a person...not as fast as the 357 through the brain pan, but it will drop them...also most of all having "something" beats having "nothing" every time!

And, IF you are lucky enough to hit said artery, while you are waiting for them to bleed out, there is still time for the BG to do terrible things to you. I know that a larger caliber isn't 100%, but a .22 from an 1 5/8" barrel is much less so. NAA are slow to operate, slower for follow-up shots, underpowered, not very shootable under stress. In penetration tests, I've seen .25acp beat a .22 NAA. Not something I want to trust my life, or any of my families' lives to. Not when there are better options.

I'd rather have "something" that works.