NAA mini-revolver in .17 cal?

contender4040

I read the article today on the new Hornady .17 magnum rimfire that was test-fired in ruger and marlin rifles. I think this would make a good round to chamber in the NAA mini-revolvers since it was reported to have high velocity and comparable energy to the .22 mag with reportedly less kick than the .22 mag.
Naturally it is going to loose alot in the short barrel but do you think this could give a modest increase in power with more controlability than the .22 mag?

C.R.Sam

Think the .17 is going to need quite a bit of barrel length to get the velocity required for it to match or beat the .22 mag.

Sam

contender4040

This new .17 is the .22 mag necked down to .17 cal loaded with a v-max bullet from what I understand. I think it would compare to the 22 mag in the naa if not faster?

Salt

bad idea, the .17 will cost too much and it may not be available in a few years due to lack of sales.

I recommend staying with the .22 rimfire.

Jim March

Remember, the only reason the .22Mag minis work well is that there's a few ammo types that excell in the short tubes, in particular the CCI MaxiMag +V/TNT series. Without those or a couple of other loads, the .22Mag minis would be borderline useless.

Now, if NAA was SMART and was able to commission the production of .17 ammo "tuned" to short tubes, it might work out. But gun makers are convinced they make GUNS and don't get involved in ammo, which is gross idiocy. In reality, people need to buy a complete "system".

Uhm... Uhm...

A high-intensity, bottlenecked pistol cartridge in a revolver?

Can anyone say "Case setback binds the cylinder and renders the gun inoperable"?

GOOD! I knew you could.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Exactly my thoughts, Mike- - -

Brings to mind the .22 Jet and the few revos chambered for .22 Hornet. For reasons you gave, they just didn't work very well.

Do you know if anyone ever tried chambering a handgun for the 5 mm Rimfire Magnum? Back in late 60s--early 70s, this was supposed to be THE light varmint ctg for non-reloaders. Never hit it big, and it just died out. Too expensive for what it accomplished and so forth.

Best,
Johnny

Johnny,

Best of my knowledge no, no one ever tried chambering the 5mm in a revolver, although T/C did offer barrels for the Contender.

As with the 5mm itself, what was the point? The jump in performance over the .22 Mag. simply wasn't great enough to justify the roughly 50 to 75% greater cost in ammo.

Most people who wanted greater power than the .22 Mag. were already looking at the .22 Hornet.

I've got one of the centerfire conversion 5mms on my desk right now.

For an independent view of this let's go to our roving reporters...

The Amazing Kreskin -- An extremely sharp, short shoulder!

Ed -- (ripping open envelope) What would make the 5mm rimfire an absolute failure in a revolver? HI OHHHHHHHH!

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Yeah, Mike- - -

I didn't even think about the "extremely sharp, short shoulder' you mention. The Hornet and .22 Jet has far gentler shoulders, and STILL didn't do well.

I worked with a cop in early 70s who was SOOOO proud of his .22 Jet--What was it, the Model 53?-- with a four-inch barrel. In his holster, you couldn't see the difference in it and the Model 19 he usually carried. And he had the little inserts so he could shoot .22 LR in it, too. He worked midnights and could sometimes be found prowling the rural roads off the dge of his district, varmint hunting. LOTS of muzzle blast from the short barrel with Remington factory jet loads. He finally made the mistake of having some Jet ctgs in his loop loader and the chief saw 'em.

I wish I could say I was aware of the stick-in-chamber/tie-up problems at the time. He DID have some difficulty at the range, though. Finally sold the Jet and all breatherd a sigh - - -

Best,
Johnny

Johnny,

Yep, Model 53.

One in box, with chamber inserts, is now bringing better than $600 in Northern Virginia at shows. I've seen two in the last couple of months, 1 nickel, 1 blue.