naa mini in 22mag question

SpookBoy

Just aquied a naa mini in 22mag. Do NOT have the lr cylinfer yet but was wondering if it would damage the gun to shoot 22 lr shot shells out of it. I long range bycicle ride & wanted the first shot as snake shot so aiming wont have to be precise, plus i dont want to kill someones dog.while the others are filled with good 22mag hp ammo. Just wondering if i should wait to find a new cylinder or 22mag shotshells? Thanks

22-rimfire

I don't know for sure with regards to the NAA, but shooting regular 22LR in a 22 Mag revolver is a receipe for split cases and difficult extraction of the empties from the cylinder. You may not kill a dog, but you could blind him. Just something to consider....

22FOREVER

I have had several NAA's over the years. stay with the 22m shotshells. besides not fitting proper, the 22lr shot shell is very weak. on a snake with 22mag you will need to be within 10 ft or less. Also this way you can have a few good 22mag rounds for protection and a round of shot for your snakes. Be sure to use the safety notches if you load 5.

Kiawah

Don't use 22LR in a 22 Mag, they're too small in diameter.

I have both NAA cylinders, and quite frankly rarely use the 22LR anymore. I suspect if you haven't already bought the LR cylinder, you could just do without.

I carry the 22Mag out in the yard while mowing, and have Mag Snake Shot first up in the pipe for just that reason.

tulsamal

You can shoot .22 LR out of a .22 WMRF revolver. My Dad used to do it nearly all the time since he disliked paying the higher price for the good ones. But... as mentioned, he split a lot of cases lengthwise. My memory says that some .22 LR worked better than other as far as splitting. Don't know that we ever put any of the shot cartridges through it though.

I have several .22 Mag revolvers. I don't shoot .22 LR out of them. Nice to know it is possible but I don't consider it a good idea.

Gregg

TennJed

Sorry to thread jack, but I have a NAA Mini in 22lr I bought used a while back. As far as I know it was originally a 22lr only model, not a convertible with the 2nd mag cylinder. It is roll marked 22lr.

Can I get a drop in mag cylinder for it? If so where?

TennJed

Only the .22mag guns can be converted to .22lr since the .22mag requires a longer cylinder.

That is what I was afraid off. I was hoping they built all if them on the same frame.

If anyone is looking to trade a 22mag for a 22lr let me know :)

wild_billz

I just bought a NAA Pug. They are around but I see most of the local places are over priced. Ive seen the Earl, mini master, mini 22lr and the pug locally. The LGS I buy from has the best prices tho. He only had 1 which was the pug. I want a black widow convertible but have not seen any. Truly a remarkable revolver. Fits comfortably in my pocket. Can't wait to shoot it as I just got it two days ago.

prm

Exception... The Black Widow .22LR model is built on the .22Magnum frame and can be fitted with a magnum cylinder. That is from NAA CS. Cost is $55.

PetahW

TennJed said:
That is what I was afraid off. I was hoping they built all if them on the same frame.

NAA makes their Mini's in three (3) frame sizes (below) - magnum (issue Staglite grips), .22LR-size & .22Short (only) size:

GunAlbum003.jpg

All models have one of the three frame sizes - although some LOOK different, due to either a different barrel and/or grip config.

Kirby8604

The LR is not the same fit as the mag. Don't shoot it, you should never shoot rounds the gun is not specifically made for. Get mag shot shells or stick with all rounds of 22 mag.

JERRYS.

shot shells aren't exactly practice rounds so I don't think the expense is going to be that much in the WRFM.