NAA Guardian range report

logansdad

Took my new NAA Guardian to the range yesterday for break-in. Here's what I got.

Feed reliability - 100%
Ejection reliability - 90% - last round from magazine stovepiped about 60-70% of the time; all other rounds ejected cleanly
Trigger action - smooth and clean with no stacking
Precision - acceptable for a gun with a 2" bbl and no sights
Accuracy - Amer. Eagle 71gr FMJ - vert=POA, horiz=2" right; Winchester 60gr STHP - vert=2" low, horiz=2" right; Speer 60gr Gold Dot JHP - vert=1.5" low, horiz=POA

Beefs: grip screws kept shooting loose (Loctite!); last round stovepipe problem (useful as a pseudo-slide lock or empty mag indicator?); one mag kept periodically ejecting while shooting (a mag catch or shooting technique problem - more range time might tell).

Gold Dots get the nod for carry.
The gun will go back to NAA for the stovepipe problem since they forbid any customer-applied work and they have a lifetime warranty. Same goes for the magazine problem.

This gun will serve as back-up to my compact 10mm Witness.

Before I picked up my Kel Tec P32, I read on NAA's webpage that the gun is designed to stovepipe the last round. They do not plan to make any changes as they feel that when you insert another magazine and rack the slide, the stovepiped casing will fall out.

M1911

logansdad:

politicallyincorrect is correct: the NAA is designed to stovepipe on the last round. You can call up NAA and they will confirm it. The gun has an extractor, but no ejector, so that's what happens. Not having an ejector apparently allows them to make the gun shorter overall.

No need to send it back to NAA.

M1911

Joe Demko

Last round stovepipe is standard in these pistols. Nothing to fix there. Do you have the slotted or allen-head grip screws? I have the allen heads and they don't loosen up during use. Also, order yourself a set of the finger-rest floor plates for your magazines. They don't really compromise concealability if you are using a pocket holster, but they make the gun substantially more shootable. They come with a new magazine latch that you can install yourself. It may take a minor amount of fitting, but nothing you can't handle in a few minutes of work with a fine stone.

E. BeauBeaux

This can be made right, it has to do with the follower. In one of my American Gunsmigh mags, the follower is reworked and it cures the problem. NAA is aware of the problem as is considering the follower remedy. Don't remember which issue but it's been in the last 6 months so shouldn't be hard to find. The idea is that an empty mag with this different follower is like their is one round left in the mag.

logansdad

Well, duh...

How did I miss the stovepipe design issue? Maybe because this "feature" is not noted anywhere in the owner's manual - which I did read. Oh well, I guess it IS a de facto empty mag indicator!!

The mag drop problem only occurred with one of the supplied magazines - the one with the finger extension. I wasn't bright enough to swap the baseplates and see if the other mag did the same thing with the finger extension baseplate. However, I did notice that there was a very shiny worn spot on the mag catch when I disassembled the gun for cleaning last night. I'm fairly certain that I wasn't accidentally activating the mag release during my shooting, but I guess anything is possible (especially since the finger extension pushes the middle finger a little closer to the release button). So, I really don't know if it's a mag problem, a mag catch problem, or something else. I visited the site and noticed that they mentioned the mag drop problem when using the finger extensions. However, they only mentioned AA- and AB- serial numbered guns. Mine's an AC-, but I'll probably order the mag extension kit anyway to see if this helps.

Oh yeah, one other gripe. The barrel is already getting scratched up from just removing the slide a couple of times.

FWIW, I just ordered the SS hexhead grip screws and that nice sharkskin pocket holster from NAA. Now if Hogue or Pearce would just make some rubber grips for the gun....

Anybody got one of those neat black titanium nitride finishes on their Guardian? I saw on the web site that the custom finishes were "temporarily" discontinued. Hope they bring them back.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I have seen a couple fellows here in Utah with some very nice wood grips on those guardians. One was a deep dark bloodwood, and the other black ironwood.
When asked about the grips both indicated that they made them themselves.
Maybe true - I have seen no advertising for custom grips for these guns. Both grips had different contouring.
A piece of wood and a Dremmel mixed with a little time will allow most anyone to make "Custom Grips" for most any pistol.

M1911

George Hill said: "A piece of wood and a Dremmel mixed with a little time will allow most anyone to make "Custom Grips" for most any pistol."

Well, I think some basic talent would be required as well. If you combine me, a piece of wood, and a Dremel, you'll get sawdust and wood chips ;)

Jared

Walt Sherrill

The last round stovepipe is a design feature? Horse hockey. Wonder why none of the other guns of a similar size chose to incorporate this clever design function?

This simply tells you that NAA doesn't know what its doing!

As E BeauxBeaux said, a recent American Gunsmith Institute newsletter described how to fix the problem: they modified the magazine follower (silver-soldered a flat, narrow piece of metal to it) so that it was raised slightly in the middle, approximating another round still in the gun. The problem went away.

Any company that know so little about gun design AND honesty is never going to get my business.

logansdad

George, NAA offers Hogue wood grips for the Guardian in many exotic flavors - Pau Ferro, Goncalo Alves, Winewood, Kingwood, Coco Bolo - in checkered and smooth formats. They also offer simulated Mother of Pearl, but caution against firing the gun with them in place as they WILL crack.

From the Guardian FAQ section of the NAA website:
For compactness, the gun was designed without an ejector. The next round feeding into the chamber is what pushes the spent casing out. When there is no next round the casing will get (sic) stay between the breech face and slide. This was designed as a slide stop.

Are any other .32ACP mouseguns (Tomcat, Seecamp, Autauga, P32) designed without an ejector?

BTW, how can I get hold of a copy of that particular AGI newsletter regarding the magazine follower modification?

PLASTIC SIG

If you ask me, stovepipes can cause damage. Just about
every time ive ever had a stovepipe its scratched my gun.The sharp edge of the casing gets pushed against the ejection port on the slide and usually scratches it. If the casing edge goes away from the opening im sure its not so harmful. But man o man! I dont wanna deal with that either way.

Maybe im thinking incorrectly. But I dont want a gun that stovepipes on purpose on by accident. I would fix it or get rid of it. Of course, thats just my opinion. If you can deal with it, thats cool too.

Tim :)

2kiddad

I guess I'm the exception...

...cause I never had the stovepiping problem with my Guardian. Ever. I typically practice with whatever junk I can find at the gun shows, but I load Glasers and/or Magsafes alternated with Fiocchi's. In the time I've had this gun, I've never had a problem, with any type or manufacturer of ammo.

I know NAA had problems with AAxxxx and ABxxxx numbered Guardians, but solved virtually all known bugs with the ACxxxx series. The ACxxxx's frames are made by Kahr. Mine is an ACxxxx. As for earlier models, returning them to NAA with a description of your problem is all it takes to get things fixed. NAA's customer service is, quite simply, unsurpassed. They'll usually fix you up, no charge. How often does this happen these days?

And finally, Walt Sherrill. Why don't you start your own firearms company since you're obviously a font of information on current pistol design. I'm sure, given your superior knowledge and design abilities, it'll be a best seller. Oh, and don't forget to stand behind it, if there's a problem or two, okay?

Don't like a particular gun? No problem! Just say so. Don't put down the efforts of an awful lot of hard working folks by saying, "they don't know what they are doing". They obviously do, 'cause they're in the firearms business, making and producing a product that's in demand. Can you say the same?

Tom B

It is my understanding that the Seecamp stovepipes on the last round just like the Guardian. My Guardian has been 100% reliable in the only couple hundred rds fired with both silvertips and FMJ but it does stovepipe on the last round. The only problem I have had was the gripscrews getting loose but locktite solved that.

logansdad

Well, it appears that my "problems" are not really problems. Just like the Guardian, none of the other small 32ACP's have a slide lock. Therefore, it appears that the stovepipe DOES give a signal that the gun is dry.

2kiddad, mine's an ACXXXXX, also, but I am intermittently experiencing the mag ejection problem noticed in the earlier models. The finger extension mag will be relegated to reload duty until I can get the issue resolved.

It feeds and ejects every round except the last one, so I think it is OK for back-up duty. It will only need to act if my 10mm Witness hiccups - an unlikely scenario!! :D