NAA 22 LR Quick and Easy Mainspring Replacement

EXPLORERCJ

Hi All, this is my very first post, hope this information helps.

NAA 22 LR - MAINSPRING REPLACEMENT MADE QUICK AND EASY.

Here is what I used: 1/4 inch nut and bolt, 5/32 inch Allen wrench with the short end cut to an overall length of 9/16 inch. Vise, flat tip screwdriver, Q-Tip, safety glasses and pliers.

Here is how how I did it: Tighten the left hand threaded main screw. Remove the cylinder and grips. Using the screwdriver pry out the old mainspring. Move the bolt spring out of the way.

Using the Q-Tip put a light coat of oil on the back of the hammer near the notch where the mainspring goes. Place the mainspring so it contacts the hammer. The larger bend in the mainspring goes towards the bottom of the grip area.

Mount the threaded end of the 1/4 inch bolt in a vise so that the threaded end is sticking up about 2 inches. Position the gun frame and mainspring on to the 1/4 inch bolt so that the bolt is up close to the hammer area and under the mainspring. Hold the gun and use pliers to bend the mainspring around the 1/4 inch bolt until the mainspring fits into the base of the grip frame.

Use the short end of the Allen wrench to lever the tip of the mainspring into the hammer notch. Re-position the bolt spring. Cock the hammer. If the hammer does not want to move try again to lever the mainspring into the hammer notch. Make sure the mainspring snaps into place.

Here is an alternate way to hold the gun while installing the mainspring. I used three scraps of aluminum 1/4 inch thick by 1 inch wide and about 3 inches long.

In one drill a 1/4 inch hole near one end. Mount the 1/4 bolt with nut in that hole. Use the second scrap as a spacer above the one with the bolt, place the gun with mainspring on to the 1/4 bolt so that the bolt is up close to the hammer area and under the mainspring. Place the the third scrap on top of the gun. Secure in a vise.

Using pliers bend the mainspring around the 1/4 inch bolt until the mainspring fits into the base of the grip frame. Instead of aluminum 1 to 1/2 inch wide scraps of 3/4 inch thick wood would also work.

EXPLORERCJ

Photos of work

Here are the photos for the work:

Attachments

• NAA 22 LR tools used.jpeg
    NAA 22 LR tools used.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230815_111540 B.jpeg
    20230815_111540 B.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230729_104013 B.jpeg
    20230729_104013 B.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 69

Sgt127

When they first came out. A guy I knew bought three of them from our buddy Sol at Walds Police supply.

He was sitting at home fascinated by the little thing. He wondered what was inside…

Tools came out.

while disassembling the first one. He heard a little click. After looking at all the parts, satisfied it was a little engineering marvel, he tried to reassemble it…

Nope.

Certain if he took the second one apart, very carefully and slowly, he could see how everything went back together. Heard a little click, like a spring popping out.

A few hours later…with no solution, he decided if he was very careful when taking apart the third one…

Jim showed up at Walds the next morning..looking a little sleep deprived, with three Zip Lock baggies full of parts.

EXPLORERCJ

Here are a couple of tips for NAA disassembly and re-assembly. As you take it apart identify and put each piece in a tray or pie plate. Especially watch out for the very small spring inside the hammer. On re-assembly clean the channel in the hammer. Using a toothpick, put a small amount of super glue gel in the channel where the straight end of the cylinder hand springs goes and place the spring. Let it dry for about a day then clean up any residual. The spring can still be rotated to line up with the groove in the cylinder hand. For the other small parts keep them in place while you assemble with a very small dab of grease.

Armybrat

If either one of my NAA Minis need to be worked on, I’ll take them to the nearby watch repairman.
My old eyes aren’t so good even after cataract & retina surgery.

Attachments

• 06F312EC-D9CA-407B-83A6-B06D3A813427.jpeg
    06F312EC-D9CA-407B-83A6-B06D3A813427.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 8DF6F0DB-FD36-434B-9E32-884E5017EB60.jpeg
    8DF6F0DB-FD36-434B-9E32-884E5017EB60.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

micromontenegro

On re-assembly clean the channel in the hammer. Using a toothpick, put a small amount of super glue gel in the channel where the straight end of the cylinder hand springs goes and place the spring.

I actually super-glue the hammer in place to reassembly those tiny nightmares