N560 Starting Load for 6.5-284Norma

I finally have all of my components to start shooting long range target. Well, everything BUT a good starting powder charge and a Chrony.

Here's what I have:

Rifle: KRG1500; discussed here: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610185

Powder: VV N560
Reloder 22

Bullets: Berger 140gr Match VLD (200ea)
Sierra MatchKing 120gr, 140gr, and 142gr (a LOT of 142gr)

I've searched high and low to find the right combination of bullet/powder to get a starting load. My problems are VV powder is relatively easy to get in my area. My source is a small business, yet high-end rifle manufacturer and they rave about using the N560 in their Norma chamberings. Unfortunately, they hold their cards close to their chest on what loads they recommend. I understand H4831SC and IMR4831 are popular. But none to be found and I already have N560. I do have Reloder 22 as an alternate.

On VV's site, they use Lapua bullets. Even the two types of Lapuas of the same weight are pretty far off on powder charges. Sierra's site is pathetic. Berger is even worse. It just pulls up their 135gr Classic Hunter load. I'm looking to use up the Sierra 120gr to break in the barrel, fireform the brass, and get a feel of the rifle. Then, move up to the Bergers and Sierras in the 140-142gr. to dial in accuracy.

I understand any information given to me is to be used at my own risk. Just looking at a good starting point on powder charge or data that I might have missed, somewhere. Going to research in buying a Chrony as well since a certain friend shot my ancient, yet reliable Oehler.

Shadow9mm

My apologies, I'm a touch tired.

Looking at thier app 39.8 to 46.5 for the 140s. I would probably use that for the 142s as well. I would start low and work up, maybe around 35.0 to start. It's a bit below 20% below max. Run from start to max in 0.4g increments, or until you see pressure signs.

But that's just me.

While vv may be readily available. I would still be looking for other options based in the lack of data over all.

Last edited: