N00B .223 question

Chipperman

Hey, reloading noob here. I’ve been reloading for a whole month now. :p

Anyway, I’ve been reloading .223 using Hornady 55gr FMJ and Reloader 7 powder. I chose that powder just based on what the shop had in stock. I’ve been slowly increasing the load to get reliability in ARs. I’m up to 21.1 grains now and the load runs well in all of my ARs except an 18” .223 Wylde. It will eject but is just shy of feeding. It will do fine when a suppressor is attached. The rifle runs commercial ammo reliably, so I know its not the rifle. All the other ARs are 16” or less.

The issue here is that at 21.1 grains I’m getting close to the 21.4 max load in the manual. The only pressure sign I’m seeing so far is some flattened primers (not all of them). I do not have a chrono yet, so I can’t tell the velocity, unfortunately.

My question is whether I should increase the load a little more or bail on RL7 in favor of another powder. Hopefully the shop will have more selection the next time I go in. I hear good things about Varget in .223. Eventually I’ll have to mail order some, but the shop has good prices on what is there.

Thanks

Shadow9mm

When I work up a load I test up to max right away. for 223 i go up in 0.3g increments starting at the starting loads and look for pressure signs. I don't go above max, I just want to make sure I don't have pressure signs. Look for ejector swipe marks on the rim and cratered primers. flattened are somewhat normal cci dont seem to flatten as easily as winchester or remington for me so it is not a guarantee, just a general guideline.

Once you hit max safely you can work back down to find an accurate load.

There are several threads about powders right now, scroll down through the forum. I am using benchmark right now, . I can get about 3000fps a 0.1g under max. but is is more accurate 0.7 below max in my gun at about 2927fps. It is also fairly tempreature stable, meaning it wont lose too much velocity when cold, or go crazy on pressure when its 95F out.

I tried varget 55 and 62g in my 16in arrel, but velocities were LOW even with max charges, like 2700fps with 55g ball at max. unless you are shooting 75-77g and have a 18-22in barrel i would stay away from varget it just burn too slow. works great in 30-06 though:)

Also, get a chronograph. https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-720...=1&keywords=chronograph&qid=1594778608&sr=8-1

This is the one I have. It is completely worth it. It also will plug into the headphone adapter on your phone to use with their app which is excellent. You need chronograph data to tell if you are hitting target velocities and to tell if your loads are consistent shot to shot. they are extremely helpful.

Last edited:

ms6852

You should be fine on the wylde chamber. The chamber is slightly larger on the Wylde and will handle the pressures better than a regular .223 chamber would. Increase slightly the powder charge without surpassing the maximum load as described in the manual. If there is a lot of pressure signs on the cartridge after shooting, consider using a different powder and or bullet until you find the right combination that works best for that rifle.

Chipperman

Thanks for the replies. I’m not too concerned about safety with the Wylde chamber, but I don’t want to get a load that is good for that rifle but not still safe for the others; especially the M16. :eek:

That Caldwell chrono is already on my wish list, I just haven’t gotten it yet. :eek:

dahermit

Hey, reloading noob here. I’ve been reloading for a whole month now. :p

Anyway, I’ve been reloading .223 using Hornady 55gr FMJ and Reloader 7 powder. I chose that powder just based on what the shop had in stock. I’ve been slowly increasing the load to get reliability in ARs. I’m up to 21.1 grains now and the load runs well in all of my ARs except an 18” .223 Wylde. It will eject but is just shy of feeding. It will do fine when a suppressor is attached. The rifle runs commercial ammo reliably, so I know its not the rifle. All the other ARs are 16” or less.

The issue here is that at 21.1 grains I’m getting close to the 21.4 max load in the manual. The only pressure sign I’m seeing so far is some flattened primers (not all of them). I do not have a chrono yet, so I can’t tell the velocity, unfortunately.

My question is whether I should increase the load a little more or bail on RL7 in favor of another powder. Hopefully the shop will have more selection the next time I go in. I hear good things about Varget in .223. Eventually I’ll have to mail order some, but the shop has good prices on what is there.

Thanks
In as much as you mentioned using 55 grain full metal Jacket bullets, I assume you are looking for a load for plinking and/or something to simulate service ammunition as opposed to top accuracy bench shooting or pinpoin long-range varmint shooting.

If that be the case, you may want to consider (as I have done) buying a eight pound jug of WC 844, which is a powder salvaged from 55 grain FMJ military rounds. It is generally cheaper than 1 lb. canister powders and seems to reasonably accurate and enables reliable functioning (note I did not use "run" for "functioning") in my AR 15 build.

ms6852

Thanks for the replies. I’m not too concerned about safety with the Wylde chamber, but I don’t want to get a load that is good for that rifle but not still safe for the others; especially the M16. :eek:

That Caldwell chrono is already on my wish list, I just haven’t gotten it yet. :eek:
Since you mentioned that you are a novice to reloading I hope that you understand that a load that works well on one rifle does not mean it will work well on another. In my experience I load and mark all my loads for each of my AR's individually because they all shoot differently and if you want to acquire optimal accuracy with each AR you have to load the recipe that each AR likes.

I try to simplify my reloading supplies to a minimum of bullets so I found out that one AR does great with 75gr BTHP and RL15 powder but the other only shoots the 75gr BTHP accurately with BL C2 powder, go figure.

Last edited:

Metal god

Your 18” likely has a rifle length gas system ?? That and a fast burning powder like RL7 and you’ll run the risk of cycling issues . The pressure curve is not optimal when using fast for cartridge powders and long gas systems . It’s probably a great powder for AR pistols with there short gas systems.

Last edited: