N.J. senator proposes toy gun ban

RT

Would make it illegal for anyone under 18 to purchase toy gun

Eyewitness News

(New Jersey- WABC, July 11, 2007) - A New Jersey senator wants to make it illegal to sell or give to anyone under age 18 toy guns that look so realistic they can be mistaken for a real firearm.

"The margin between a child's stupid mistake and a tragic ending is far too thin," said Sen. Nicholas Scutari.
Scutari, D-Union, introduced the proposal in late June and plans to push it when the Legislature reconvenes late this year. He said the bill stems from an incident in a Union Township where four students were suspended after bringing a cap gun to school.

"We need to stress to our children that guns are not toys, but deadly weapons which should always be regarded with extreme caution and handled with respect," Scutari said. "Restricting access to imitation firearms will help to drive that point home."

Gun rights advocates plan to fight the bill.

"It misses the mark because it demonizes toys instead of criminal behavior," said Scott Bach, president of the New Jersey Association of Rifle and Pistol Clubs, which is the National Rifle Association's New Jersey organization.

If the measure is enacted, New Jersey would join several states that have restricted access to realistic toy guns to minors.

New York, for instance, got Wal-Mart in 2003 to stop selling toy guns that fail to have a non-removable orange stripe along the barrel. The retailer also agreed to stop selling toy guns in realistic colors such as black, blue and silver and paid $200,000 in civil penalties.

Scutari's bill would make it illegal to sell or give to anyone under 18 and imitation firearm, which is defined as anything "reasonably capable of being mistaken for a firearm."

The bill is based on a 1987 New Jersey law that bars the sale of hunting, fishing, combat and survival knives with blades of more than five inches to anyone under 18.

Violators would face a fine of up to $1,000 and up to six months in prison.

Scutari said the bill would help police and school officials figure out whether a firearm is either fake or real, but Bach said it would intrude upon retailers and parents.

"This bill seeks to intimidate retailers of even toy water pistols rather than to address the bad acts of criminals who use imitation guns in furtherance of crime," Bach said. "A parent who gives a child a toy firearm as a gift would be guilty under this legislation."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5472003

Justme

Personally I think a parent who gives a kid a toy gun is guilty of stupidity, no matter the law. I hate toy guns. I think more kids should have single shot .22lr and less toys.

Kids deserve to be properly taught about gun safety, toys detract from this endeavor. Give a kid a .22 at age 8 or 9 and a .410 or 28 gauge at age 13.

RevolverLover

Personally I think a parent who gives a kid a toy gun is guilty of stupidity, no matter the law. I hate toy guns.

So you hate toy guns and any parent who gives their kid a toy gun is stupid. :confused: Anti-gunners have been using that logic for years.

Kids deserve to be properly taught about gun safety, toys detract from this endeavor. Give a kid a .22 at age 8 or 9 and a .410 or 28 gauge at age 13.

What kids deserve is up to their parents. If a parent wants to teach a child about firearm safety then so be it. If the child can't understand the difference from a toy gun and a real gun then they shouldn't have either.

Justme

So you hate toy guns and any parent who gives their kid a toy gun is stupid

Yes, that is my opinion. Of course parents are entitled to be stupid if they want, it is the US after all. But seriously how stupid do you have to be to buy a kid a gun that can be easily mistaken for a real gun in an emergency?

There is one exception. I think it would be OK to buy a toy gun for toddlers and keep it in the gun cabinet/safe, to be brought out so that the kid could clean it when the parent is cleaning real the real guns. A bonding moment and all that. Using a toy gun to teach the four rules makes sense with very little kids.

TheFacts

New York, for instance, got Wal-Mart in 2003 to stop selling toy guns that fail to have a non-removable orange stripe along the barrel. The retailer also agreed to stop selling toy guns in realistic colors such as black, blue and silver and paid $200,000 in civil penalties.

...and how hard would it be for a child to simply paint over the stripe or to paint the toy black, blue or silver. I guess such acts would require a mandatory multi year sentence and a multi"K" fine for the evil perpetrators. The nanny state at it`s finest...what a bunch of f&^%ing whackjobs. :rolleyes:

Curiosity yields evolution...satiety yields extinction.

Justme

It's a real dilemma. How stupid should you let someone be before you do something about it? It's like the whole seatbelt issue.

The problem is that stupid parents buy look alike guns and stupidly let their kids play with them. Then a cop has to decide in a split second whether that gun is a toy or real. So far so good, right? The problem is when the cop shoots a kid who had a toy gun and it costs society at large a whole bunch of money and perhaps causes a kneejerk reaction that gets stupid laws passed.

Oh no the kids are armed with cap guns. They might spook a dog into going nuts and doing a kung fu kicking boxing jig thereby resulting in the bank tellers getting rabies.:D:eek:. I'm sorry guys but there is not one speck of inteligence or sence in the above proposed law.

Justme

"We need to stress to our children that guns are not toys, but deadly weapons which should always be regarded with extreme caution and handled with respect," Scutari said.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with the above statement

"Restricting access to imitation firearms will help to drive that point home."

I'm not so sure about that one, but I do agree with the sentiment. I know a lot of gun owning parents who practice a form of this. Growing up it was only the families who didn't own any guns who seemed to let kids play with toy guns, the rest of us had either air rifles or a .22.

If a toy is used to teach the four rules and demsytify firearms then it seems reasonable. If having a toy gun teaches a kid to treat guns in a cavalier and unsafe manner then owning one has potentially dangerous consequences. If a toy gun causes a cop to accidently shoot an innocent kid, then we all lose.

I grew up with real guns and toy guns. Somehow, I also knew the difference.

About 15 years ago, we were cleaning out my Mom's basement, and I found a wooden gun (modeled after a WWII MP40). It was a fair replica if you considered it had been made by an eight or nine year old. And, I remembered back to when that gun "killed" a lot of my friends during the rather epic battles we had. Those were good times and they created fond memories.

Funny thing, all of the neighborhood kids played "war" with toy guns. When we got into BB guns, I'll admit we didn't always use them wisely. But when we graduated to "real" guns, like 22s and then 410s, 20 ga and 16 ga shotguns, I can't recall anyone getting shot. It was a rite of passage. We knew we had made the grade and were mature enough to be entrusted with the responsibility. I firmly believe we were more mature as a society back then. Now-a-days, kids aren't taught the same respect. It's all rather sad.

Kreyzhorse

This PC age kills me. I grew up with toy six shooters and real six shooters in the house. I have a great Xmas picture taken the year I got my toy six shooters and my father got his Smith and Wesson .357. I'm Wyatt Earp and he's Dad with his Smith (although, in his mind he might have been Doc Holiday, you can never tell). I was exposed to real guns at a young age and knew the difference. I also knew what a real gun would do to an item or person.

Banning toy guns is asinine.

MacGille

I never let my kids have toy guns. Guns are not toys was the truth around my house. All of my kids had real guns as soon as they were responsible enough. I don't like toy guns and the people who give them to their kids. That being said i don't like knee jerk laws either. Or the fools who pass them. Safety is not and should not be a matter of legislation. It should be up to the individual to decide for him(or her)self. Seat belts, helmets, toy guns,skateboards etc. It is up to each individual to make his own decision about safety, His own and his family's. Enough trying to legislate stupidity.:barf:

I don't mean traffic laws, they are needed.