N-frame returns from Boron Carbide

VictorLouis

I am unable to post photos as of yet, but I did want to provide my intitial impressions for those of you considering it.(There are some great pics of a M629 here.) http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6971&forum=16&9

For those not familiar with a M-28 Highway Patrolman, the top and bottom of the frame and grip are all matte blasted. The barrel, and the sides of the frame and cylinder are all satin blue. Prior to metal prep, the blueing was(and must be) chemically stripped off. The satin areas were polished out to a high gloss, save for the cylinder flutes and the barrel, which was blasted to match the top and bottom of the frame.(Due to some heavy tool marks, an equal level of polish would've dulled the rollmarks considerably.) A layer of pure chromium(not hard chrome) was applied to the metal first. As was explained to me, this was to seal off the pores of the metal surface, and for corrosion resistance. The BC is for hardness and wear resistance.

Fresh out of the box, the finish is almost pewter in appearance. Fingerprints appear translucent on the polished areas and much darker when you touch the matte areas. The polished areas almost resemble nickle, but with a much darker gray color. The matte areas are a dull deep gray, much like that color of parkerizing. Like that process, it was explained to me that the BC finish actually holds oil, hence the reaction to the oil in my fingerprints. Once oiled over, the whole gun darkens up considerably. The polished surfaces now look blued, and the matte looks almost exactly like Ruger's Target Gray finish on the .480 Redhawk.

This process is done under intense vaccuum pressure and moderate heat. This actually sucks out any oil and particulate matter from the most minute recesses in the gun. That leeching, as it's reffered to, can be cleaned up to some extent as it surfaces. This gun is old enough to have a pinned barrel, which I did not remove for coating. Surrounding that barrel pin, there is a tiny rainbow 'halo' on each side. Obviously, there wasn't anything which could be seen with the naked eye during application, and it appeared in the end result. It's not glaring enough to bother me, but I know how persnickity many of us forumites are. The bottom line is, you can assure perfect results on your gun with perfect preparation. They've allied themselves with the Colorado School of Trades, but other gunsmiths can submit work also.

I've not had the chance to shoot it yet, but I plan on documenting the rounds and cleaning sessions. That way, I'll be able to provide some concrete info as to how well it holds up over time. I'll try to get some photos up when I can. Needless to say, I'm already considering which will be the second gun I send off for the coating.

Here are a few other links for those of you who are interested:
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4958&forum=34&26
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8996&highlight=boron +carbide

Kevinch

Victor: I will be very interested in your pics & how the finish cleans & holds up.

Recently I achieved one of my handgun goals & acquired a used 4" M57. Haven't shot it yet, but the lockup seems tight & cylinder end play is about non-existant. The finish is 95% to 98%.

I'd like to have the grip frame converted to a round butt, maybe have it ported, have the cylinder charge holes chamfered, etc. I need to shoot it to determine if the accuracy is up to par & if any other work (ex.- barrel recrown, forcing cone recut, etc.) is necessary.

I also need to determine a finish, & Boron Carbide has my attention. While I like highy polished blue, it won't wear as well as the newer baked finishes. However, I have never been attracted to the deep matted metal treatments. While I know it's not shiny like bluing, the fact that the BC can be applied over smooth metal leads me to believe I would find it more to my liking.

I hope you can get pics up soon!

jmlv

Prices?

Checking out the price list I see only 1 handgun with magazine. How does this work with a revolver? Same price $200? Do they have the people to do a Dan Wesson Revolver? My frame is a plum purple color (the ONLY complaint I have with the gun) and I think this finish would look much better. also can they appliy it over the sintered metal parts of the DW action? Or should I just have the gun hard chromed instead? (frame only)
considering

Kentucky Rifle

Victor...

I too am interested in seeing pictures and hearing more of your impressions. You see, for over a year I've owned a Microtech knife with a black boron carbide coated blade. Incredibly, it looks the same now as when I took it out of the box. Absolutely NO scratches! None!

Kentucky Rifle

VictorLouis

While I know it's not shiny like bluing..
On the contrary, Kevin, it is like shiny blueing. :) The more polished the surface, the darker the resulting color will be. It's the matte surfaces that turn out with more of a gray color.

Kentucky, I'm not surprised about your knife blade. The finish really got established in the blade community first. Darrel explained to me that he was encouraged to take the plunge into firearms probably a bit sooner than they were prepared for.

FIRE!

Pics, please! I'm really want to see 'cause I sent my Colt Mustang to Colorado School of trades last week and I can't wait to see how good it's going to look. :D

RickB

I read a post that indicated Bodycote had suspended gun finishing until they could investigate a couple of problems with premature wear?
I contacted Bodycote, since I'd had a gun finished by them, asking if there was going to be a recall, or what? No response, as yet.

VictorLouis

Out of several dozen guns in user's hands right now, there's only been one that's been called to their attention. It's a Burn's Custom 1911 who's owner posted in the www.pistolsmith.com forum under "1911 Freak". There are two or three pinppoint spots where he says the finish has been penetrated. Last I spoke with a Bodycote rep, the guy really didn't want to return the gun for them to examine it. :confused: I guess he was having too much fun shooting it.

In any case, the folks at Bodycote are examining several different layering processes, with BC as the final, exterior finish. Keep in mind, these coatings are deposited so thinly that a multi-layer job is still much thinner than even the best of the hard-chrome plating processes.