N-frame Concealed Carry?

BigJimP

I've done it / just to prove I can ....a 3" model 629 Trail Boss ....and a couple of times a model 27 4" .....but they're pretty wide / and pretty heavy ...in a Kramer, scabbard holster ...under a coat.

and I carry a 5" 1911 in .45 acp most of the time ...and thats bigger than most too ....

couldbeanyone

Depends on your body type. I have carried a model 28 Smith a few times in the past, but it is pretty tough when your not very big around. They are bid enough that on a slim person part of it is usually either printing out the front or the back. I would think it would be easier for someone who was bigger around.

Webleymkv

I do routinely in the winter when I can wear a coat as a cover garment. I carry either a S&W 629 or M28, both with 4" barrels, in a Kramer Horsehide vertical scabbard strongside at 3:30 to 4:00. With a good belt, I can wear such a setup along with two speedloaders in a double pouch immediately behind the holster. In the summer, I switch to a S&W Model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel in an El Paso Saddlery #88 in the same position or a S&W Model 36 in my right front pocket. In the summer, I also carry a Bianchi Speedstrip in the watch pocket of my jeans for a reload. As a note, I'm 6'4" and about 280lbs, such a setup might not work for a smaller statured person.

wnycollector

I carry a S&W 28-2 4" on occasion. Carried in a quality holster (i.e. simplyrugged sourdough pancake) with a good belt (simplyrugged real man belt) it is not that bad IF you dress around that big ole N frame. If I'm going to carry a 4" revolver, I much prefer a K frame with boot grips IWB.

BigJimP

Ok, ok ........I'm a little bigger "around too" .... 6'5" and 290 lbs or so ...which is why it worked for me as well probably...

SaberOne

Thanks for the encouragement, as I’m planning on carrying a 686 2.5-inch for those more robust days. I initially felt it was a bit over the top, but if you're considering an N-frame, then I'm feeling pretty confident with my less intimidating L'.

Last edited:

totaldla

Look at the size difference between an ideal CC rig - Kimber Pro Carry and the S&W329pd (sigline). Both weigh the same. Of course you can carry an N-Frame and I suppose I could conceal a box of Wheaties too :)

WESHOOT2

not an N

I on occasion wear Redhawks; I wear them weak side butt forward; I wear them in a Sparks HSR; I conceal them with long coats.
Granted, the 7.5" 357 can get pushed up if I'm not careful....

Head-Space

Smith 629, 4" bbl. in a belt holster OWB. Coat over, parka style "outdoor" gear. I wasn't working on "concealed carry." Open carry is legal, and when I put on the coat it was "concealed," which is also legal.

Wouldn't try it in a tank top and a Speedo. :eek:

orionengnr

Yes. The winter before last I carried either a 4" M-57 or a 4" M-25 every day, just to see if I could. "Winter" here in North Texas means anything from a sweatshirt to a jacket/coat.

IWB holster by Side Guard, belt by El Paso Saddlery. I am 5'9", 145 lbs.
I've done it a few times since, but not frequently.

Texpass

Yep I carry a S&W Model 624 44 Special. I had a thin OWB holster made for me and with 2X shirts it hides well.

ISP 5353

I carry my 629 4 inch in a pancake holster that fits very close to the body and carries the revolver pretty high. It hides well under any light jacket or vest.

Chesster

First, you need a good heavy belt. Years ago I carried a 4" M29 in a Milt Sparks style Summer Special. It gets old and heavy.

RKG

I have carried a 2-1/2" M24 in a Don Hume #721 for days on end without an issue. No special clothes and the holster is so comfortable that you forget you are wearing it. 5-8 and 140.