mythbusters

rangermonroe

Mythbuster's just "revisited" the exploding gas tank myth, and I was curious if anyone else noticed their description of a tracer bullet?

According to them the orange paint at the tip was made from phosphous, and glowed from air friction.

Also, after they fired over 100 rounds through the tank, and swiss cheesed it, they moved it out farther to "allow the bullets to fully ignite".

A few rounds later the gasoline ignited.

Conclusion: Tracers will ignite a gas tank:rolleyes:

No mention that ventilation of the tank might have brought the air fuel ratio into explosive range, which would not occur in vehicle naturaly.

But carrie looked quite nice with the M1 carbine.

Oh, and they were shooting tracers from a 12 gauge...

SAXD9

Pfffft! They're special effects gurus, what do they know about real firearms?

I like the show though. I didn't see that episode, I'll have to watch for a re-run.

Avizpls

I dont know if you knew this or not, but the paint is just an indicator.

The "glow" comes from chemicals at the base of the bullet, ignited by the powder.

rangermonroe

yes, I knew that. I thought that it was funny that not only did the narrator describe this process, with animated drawings, but Jamie also explained the functioning of a tracer the same way.

I just thought it was funny, I am not on a rant here. But it is amazing the ammount of disinformation you can get from even a quasi-scientific explanation.

stevewiz

yall need to learn that when it comes to TV and guns, they ain't never gonna teach you nothin proper..

(ignore the double negative)

Cowled_Wolfe

Remember... As long as they sound smart, it makes for good TV.

Oh wait. I just described the whole Discovery Channel's lineup, as well as those of most news networks and other "educational" channels. :-\

Wolfe... (Who thinks WE need to make our own show, debunking gun myths.)

zejs1

They mentioned that tracers were illegal in California, and they got them from the FBI. Maybe he's the one who gave them the bad dope on them and they figured he'd know what he was talking about.

Write them and maybe they'll revisit it again. And ask them to bring Scottie along next time. Rrrrrrrr.

Bonstrosity

I read this post last night before watching some tv and the exact episode came on. Are tracers legal elsewhere? What exactly is the use of one? Those two guys have osme interesting shows and then other ones that are just pointless or wrong. I bet some of us could make a better show like someone had just said w/out the little hissy fights between eachother. but where can I learn more about tracers? I've seached it but didn't find a decent post about them?

Avizpls

Tracers are used to "walk" fire onto a target.

typically loaded every 2 or 3 in a magazine.

They are legal in PA

MEDDAC19

They are basically a sighting aid. They allow you to see where your rounds are going. Ever try to use sights on a fully auto weapon? It is also very hard to see sights on a weapon at night, so they allow directed fire in the dark, without night vision optics.

blackmind

According to them the orange paint at the tip was made from phosphous, and glowed from air friction.

It's disconcerting when "authority"-type programs put forth info that is just plain wrong.

My dad likes that show because he's seen some stuff that they explained to his satisfaction. I suppose that if he'd seen this episode (I myself have not), he'd now believe this explanation.

Why did supposedly intelligent people fail to realize that if the TIP of the bullet was glowing, it would be of little or no help to the person firing it?! :rolleyes:

-blackmind

Mike40-11

I saw that episode the other day too. Let's see, after making a couple hundred holes in the tank, allowing plenty of air to mix with the gasoline fumes in the tank, they were finally able to get a tracer to start a fire. Didn't look like an explosion to me.....

The orange paint on the tip is just that, paint. All it does is identify the tracer. The trace comes from chemicals in the base of the bullet. US tracers are red and use strontium salts, the same chemicals that are used for red fireworks. Soviet/Russian tracers are green and use barium salts.

If it WERE the tip of the bullet burning however, you would still be able to see it from behind. I know from first hand experience that you can most certainly see tracers coming at you when it's the back of the bullet is burning.

They DO foul a barrel somewhat more than regular ammo, but not too terribly.

You can buy them online from lots of suppliers. They are legal in most states, but check your laws first. In Michigan for instance, you can't shoot them in the woods. They might not blow up gas tanks, but they can sure start some dandy fires in the weeds!

molonlabe

That was originally why they were banned in CA but the AP was found to have also cause wildfires. Now their probably banned because they come out of guns.

I am enjoying them less now because they seem to be running out of material. A lot of their myths you can bust just by understanding high school physics. I am losing intrest in them fast.

No4Mk1

These are the same guys that in this very same episode:

1-Strapped a person to the back of a pickup truck and had him try to hold onto a piece of plywood...
2-Built and "wind tunnel" that achieved a smoking 19MPH
3-Strapped same "wind tunnel" to the back of aforementioned pickup truck to try to get more speed...
4-Extrapolated the results from 2 and 3 to estimate pressures on a jet aircraft traveling at over 500mph

and that is what I remember off the top of my head....

I'm frankly amazed they can find anyone to underwrite the production of the show given the absurd risks they take ON CAMERA.

All that said, it was at least good to see them dispel the old hollywood "blown across the room by a 9mm handgun" myth, although any kid who didn't sleep through 9th grade science class should know that....

AndrewTB

Jamie Hyneman from Myth Busters is much more then your average special effects person. He has experiance all though it may not seem that way. When he pretends not to know what hes doing he does it for the viewers annd then the voice explains on the show. If im correct he was also a Navy Seal which has an extensive weapons training program and a survival expert.