Mystery Rifle, or how curiosity killed the checkbook

Navy joe

This thing has been staring at me from the walls of my favorite pawn shop for a while, I finally bought it because I can stand a lot of adventure for $150.00, and curiosity was killing me. A beautiful gun, I believe probably customized in the 70's. Gorgeous walnut stock, raised comb, Mounting an older, but perfect Bushnell 3x9 in weaver rings and a well worn leather sling. By looking at it I decided that whoever had it knew a little about rifle shooting and I might discover a gem. So its bought.

The problem: It apparently a military bolt action reciever that was re-barreled and sporterized. No caliber ID, no names, wow! that's kinda why I puzzled so long. After purchase I disassembled and in the areas covered by the stock there are a few oriental characters dispersed all over lower side in chamber area, looks like proof marks, no structure or anything. on the right side of the reciever the is the SN 128052 a proof mark then two small oriental characters. the proof is 4 circles, three arranged in a triangle with the fourth superimposed, kinda like a Jap mum, but with less petals. Bolt release is a large lever on the right side that hinges at rear, kinda like an M77 release. Trigger group looks aftermarket/custom, very crisp with several adjustments, safety comes off the side of this up to a fore/aft lever just behind the bolt handle. Bolt is under spring pressure from large cap at rear of bolt, If just slapped free will drive the bolt all the way rear, spring rests with the bolt 1/2" rearward. Bolt has two lugs and large extractor that has 90 degree range of motion. Large cap on rear is knurled on back in an intersecting pattern like a sunflower. Mag is hinged floorplate, accepts .308 round with about 3/8" extra room, don't have calipers here w/ me so my scientists tell me that bore is smaller than .308, but larger than .223. I suspect something in 6.5 or 7mm, who konws, I will cast the chamber, slug the barrel at some point, any pointers on doing the slug thing. Bore is pretty, was dirty, tied a .30 cal boresnake to a doorknob and drug it through, very pretty now. pretty fast looking twist, no pits, shiny , well defined lands and deep grooves. Crown wasn't recessed, this winter I shall visit a lathe. any clues on this things history, all help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

***SAFETY NOTE: No, I didn't try to chamber any ammo, no I won't fire it until I know what goes in it etc.***

Navy joe

Thanks, I had seen this thread and thought it might be, still many odd things to it. I think its a type 38 if it is, searching for pictures, but can't find. I will make this a shooter though, any thoughts on if its turns out to be 6.5 jap converting to 6.5x55 swede?

Update: After further thought I pulled the front scope base, whadda you know there's a mum under there, drilled dead center for the screw. Matched a picture I found on gun-broker. Not reading jap I am still clueless on caliber.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
Since you said a .308 had room to spare, I'm thinking you had the larger round...was it 7.7mm? The smaller was 6.5x50mm, IIRC. However, since it was sporterized, caliber is now open to exploration...

Depending on how late in the war it was made, the Arisaka is an excellent choice for rebarrelling. Earlier models are supposed to be stronger than any other WW II era bolt rifle.
---
there's nothing short of dyin'
Half as lonesome as the sound
On the sleeping city sidewalks...
Sunday morning coming down

Navy joe

I say room to spare in ref. to the OAL in the mag, the bore is definitely in the 6.5 to 7 range, .308 bullet only went in half the ogive. Gotta cast the chamber it seems.