Mystery Inheritance Revolver in 32 S&W?

studman5578

Hey fellas,

I just inherited this handgun (didn't know it existed until about a week ago, when it was put into my hands) and I know nothing about it. The only markings it has is "American Bulldog" stamped on the top of it's hex barrel. The serial number is hidden underneath the grip and is 5696 I think. The grips are plastic and they are of an eagle holding 4 arrows and what looks like an olive branch. The rest I think you guys can see for yourself.

From what I've seen online, I think its an Iver Johnson replica made c. 1970. I'm certain its some type of a 32. Most likely a 32 S&W? Does that sound right to you guys?

Any idea of the value? the rifling is in good shape from what I can see and the only problems it has is the trigger pin likes to walk and there is no spring holing out the latching mechanism that is supposed to engage the hammer to hold the gun cocked back. (this I figured out reassembling the gun with out a manual after a THOROUGH cleaning). There is some wear and age on the gun itself but other than some small pitting and marks, the gun shines. Any help or ideas would be great! Thanks

Attachments

• Revolver 2.jpg
    Revolver 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Revolver 1.jpg
    Revolver 1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 446
  • Revolver 3.jpg
    Revolver 3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 353

PetahW

The revolver pictured is Waaaaaay older than 1970, and I can tell you:

DO NOT FIRE ANY MODERN AMMUNITION IN IT ! !

Additionally, here is a quote from the guru/author/collector of those revolvers:

"The 32 S&W long was introduced in 1898 and the American Bulldog revolvers were manufactured between 1883 and 1899.
None of them were chambered with the 32 S&W Long cartridge in mind.
The early alternate to the 32 S&W was the 32 M&H (also known as the 32 H&R). It had a case length longer than the 32 S&W but shorter than the later 32 S&W Long. The 32 M&H (Merwin & Hulbert) was loaded by most ammo companies until the WWI era although most revolver companies had switched to the 32 S&W Long before that.
The only company to the best on my knowledge who did not switch was Hopkins & Allen (the manufacturer of M&H revolvers).
H&R switched in 1905 when they lengthened the cylinders of their 6 shot (large frame) 32 caliber revolvers. The longer cylinder was needed on the American Bulldog because it would chamber the 32 M&H as well as the rimfire models being chambered for the 32 rimfire Long cartridges.

When Iver Johnson introduced the replacement for the American Bulldog, the 'Model 1900 Double Action', the medium frame revolver in 32 caliber was still listed as 32 S&W.
Although the cylinders are long enough for the 32 S&W Long, that cartridge fired in the medium frame is a little to much for most people to handle.
Later in production (after about 1921) the 'Model 1900 Double Action' and the 'U.S. Revolver Co. Double Action' were chambered in 32 S&W Long, but it was in the large frame 6 shot versions only.

So - all American Bulldog revolvers were chambered for black powder cartridge pressures only and none were chambered for the 32 S&W Long.
WARNING: Do not fire any American Bulldog revolvers with any modern smokeless ammo.

Because of the lack of variations and the many different serial number series used (almost one per year) the age of any American Bulldog revolver can only be given as the era of manufacture:

First model 1883-1886, name marked on top strap.
Second model 1887-1889, name marked on top of barrel.

The American Bulldog revolvers were only manufactured by one company, but it went through several name changes.
1871-1883 Johnson & Bye gunsmiths
1883-1894 Iver Johnson's Arms Co.
1894-1978 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works

This company was owned and controlled by the Iver Johnson family for over 100 years.
no other gun manufacturer can claim this, as most under went several different owners using the same name.
The last family member to control the Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works was Iver Johnson (the man's) grandson, Luther M. Otto III (son of Iver Johnson's daughter Mary Louise).
He passed away about 1975 and the company was sold to outside interests."

bill
available from www.gunshowbooks.com

Last edited: