Mystery Choke Tube set....

Hey guys... New to the site and I already need help... I just picked up a winchester model 12.... The previous owner had screw in chokes put in it... I know I have IC, Mod and Full by a card included in the choke tube box included with the gun.. Now the question is... Who made the chokes??? No one in the gunshop had a clue.. They look like Brileys but they only have letters on them... "B" for Full, "E" for Modified, "G" for Improved Cylinder...

mikenbarb

.300, Welcome to TFL and you will love it here if you like to shoot or reload. You would have to gauge the threads to find what brand is the same as the ones you have. Im not sure and have never heard of a letter system for choke tubes but im sure someone else here has. Are they just a plain screw in the barrel choke tube? It almost sounds like the old style Lyman cuts compensator choke system with the letters.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I am guessing all 3 will fit as they came with the gun. While I like to know what make an item is... I wouldn't lose sleep on it if no one knows.
Brent

These are the plain screw in the barrel type of chokes... The only reason I want to find the manufacturer is that I want to get a Light Modified and a Skeet choke to add to the set if possible...

zippy13

Give the folks a Briley a call, they know a lot more about chokes than your local gun shop. Measure them as accurately as you can before you call. The Model 12 has been around a long while, and you don't know if the chokes are standards or custom made.
Another option is to have one of your chokes opened up.

LHB1

Talk to the folks at Briley's. Suspect you could send them one of your current chokes and they could sell you any compatible chokes you want.